Beauty

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Every restart has new toys.

https://bgi.web.cern.ch/bgi/
https://cds.cern.ch/record/2747870/files/CERN-THESIS-2020-236.pdf

This is pretty slick. We use direct mechanically scanned beam profilers (linear wire type scanner) for wafer ion beam scanners but that's only a 1000W beam at max power.

Industrial application of beam profiling.
https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...ings/2054aa92aa85cba0ed8f1733ef3ec2091d119916

Attachments

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. e.g. Luminosity

https://home.cern/resources/faqs?te...ll&field_p_faq_display_audience_target_id=All

“Why High-Luminosity” said:
The phenomena that physicists are looking for have a very low probability of occurring and this is why a very large amount of data is needed to detect them. Increasing luminosity produces more data, allowing physicists to study known mechanisms in greater detail and observe rare new phenomena that might reveal themselves. For example, the High-Luminosity LHC will produce at least 15 million Higgs bosons per year, compared to around three million from the LHC in 2017.
kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
”Super Conduction Magnets” said:
New, more powerful superconducting quadrupole magnets will be installed on either side of the ATLAS and CMS experiments to focus the particle bunches before they meet. These magnets will be made of a superconducting compound, niobium-tin, used for the first time in an accelerator, which will make it possible to achieve higher magnetic fields than the niobium-titanium alloy used for the current LHC magnets (12 teslas as opposed to 8). Twenty-four new quadrupole magnets are currently in production. The use of niobium-tin magnets is an opportunity to test this technology for future accelerators. New beam optics (the way the beams are tilted and focused) will notably make it possible to maintain a constant collision rate throughout the lifespan of the beam.
When in the illustration above ^ I noticed ”Red” then “Blue” shift atop and bottom of the central cavity that the beam must pass though, the Mags polarity shift to attain an angular Pattern to the beam possibly, my only analogy would be like shooting a bullet keeping it on target target, then shifting the bullets angle of approach to the target area, just amazing, makes me wonder what Maxwell and others would have thought?

kv

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
When in the above illustration above ^ I noticed ”Red” then “Blue” shift atop and bottom of the central cavity that the beam must pass though, the Mags polarity shift to attain an angular Pattern to the beam possibly, my only analogy would be like shooting a bullet keeping it on target target, then shifting the bullets angle of approach to the target area, just amazing, makes me wonder what Maxwell and others would have thought?

kv
If you mean the Crab cavities the ”Red” then “Blue” shift is RF electrical fields shifting in what looks to be a dual feed MW cavity using RF that's phase shifted and synchronized to each bunch. It's like a electrostatic deflection on a CRT, a charged stream (bunch) is attracted or repulsed by a changing electric potential. The crab cavity walls are superconducting to reduce RF losses and to increase tuned Q at 400MHz.

The initial particle generator beam is continuous DC. That beam is converted to bunches with another type of RF cavity in the buncher/linac section of the accelerator before energy boosting.
00:30

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Just finished a book written by Frank Wiczek - A Beautiful Question, Finding Natures Deep Design printed 2016, I’ve had it for awhile, he predicts at the end of the book SuperSemmetry maybe 5 - 6 years away to show the Theory has merit.

kv

Last edited:

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
The beauty in physics is not simplicity but the fact that it actually follows mathematical formulas to extreme precision. Why the universe should be comprehendible and mathematical is the real mystery. It also turns out to be limited in size going down to digital limits and limited in size going up as well and limited in duration. Almost like it is a digital simulation: Get small enough you get to the pixel level. Get large enough you reach the a finite limit. That is exactly what a computer simulation is. Smallest size is plank length 10^-33 cm. Smallest duration 10^-43 s. Who ordered that?

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cmartinez Off-Topic 2
marshallf3 Analog & Mixed-Signal Design 6