Battery management board not managing as expected

noweare

Joined Jun 30, 2017
I am testing out a battery charger management board which has a TP4056 Lithion-ion charger i.c. on it.
I am powering the board with 5vdc through a usb port. I have one 18650 that I am tesing with.
The battery measures 2.6 volts. I placed a connector between the Batt+ output on the board and the battery
in order to measure charging current. When the battery is below 3 volts it is supposed to be trickle charged at
about 130 milli-amps. I am measuring over 1 amp as can be seen from the photo. This is dangerous because
Li-ions can explode if using full charge current on over discharged batteries.

I plan on using this board along with some other componants to make an uinterruptable power supply.
But it doesnt seem to be operating as it should.

Does anyone have experience with the board ? They are sold on aliexpress, bangood, Amazon etc.. and are quite
common. I tried a couple of boards and I get the same result. Here is a link to the board https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Lithium-Battery-Charger-TE420/dp/B01DRT4PWY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548092341&sr=8-4&keywords=tp4056

Thanks

Attachments

noweare

Joined Jun 30, 2017
Thanks for updating the link to something that works.

The 1A charging current when the battery voltage is over 3 volts. Under 3 volts there is supposed to be, what they call a precharging current of about 130 milli-amps. When the battery voltage reaches 3 volts then the full programmed charging current is applied. The voltage on pin two of the TP4056 is supposed to drop to a regulated voltage of 0.2 volts when in precharging mode. I measure it and is 0.85 volts. This is supposed to be straight forward, ugh.