Battery Charging using Adafruit Powerboost 1000C

oceanblue

Joined Dec 20, 2018
Hi! I've been working on a project and I need it to be portable.

So I have two batteries of PKCELL LP785060 it's a 3.7V 2500mAh battery.
I connected the two in series which gives me a 7.4V battery.

My question is, can I use the adafruit powerboost 1000C to charge these batteries connected in series?

Should I modify something or do something before using the powerboost 1000C? or it'll be just fine if I connected it directly on the powerboost to charge the two?

here are the links for the components:

Battery: https://www.adafruit.com/product/328
Powerboost 1000C: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2190

Thank you!

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
The power boost 1000C is not suitable for charging two Li cells in series it is designed to output 5V under various input voltages

You need a BMS like this ....
search "BMS 2s" on eBay ... connected as shown will protect cells from everything possible . Charging can be done with any DC supply over 9V, and the circuit will stop the charge at the correct time

oceanblue

Joined Dec 20, 2018
The power boost 1000C is not suitable for charging two Li cells in series it is designed to output 5V under various input voltages

search "BMS 2s" on eBay ... connected as shown will protect cells from everything possible . Charging can be done with any DC supply over 9V, and the circuit will stop the charge at the correct time
Hi thank you for the reply! Once I have that.. then how do I charge the batteries?

oceanblue

Joined Dec 20, 2018
Hi thank you for the reply! Once I have that.. then how do I charge the batteries?

HI. sorry I did not notice that you said " Charging can be done with any DC supply over 9V, and the circuit will stop the charge at the correct time" .. Does it mean that Once I have this BMS I can just supply it with a 9V power and it will charge the batteries?

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
slight correction , the one pictured specifies charge voltage 8.4 to 9V

Permanently connect the cells as shown , then you have two terminals p1 and p2 these are used for charging and discharging ... 13A means it will not allow discharge greater than 13A ... disconnect charger before discharging

oceanblue

Joined Dec 20, 2018
slight correction , the one pictured specifies charge voltage 8.4 to 9V

Permanently connect the cells as shown , then you have two terminals p1 and p2 these are used for charging and discharging ... 13A means it will not allow discharge greater than 13A ... disconnect charger before discharging
Will this BMS automatically balance the cell of my two batteries when charging? since they are connected in series? ..