Battery Charger and Battery Chemistry

Ashad_27

Joined Feb 5, 2023
Hi Everyone,
I am working on battery charger circuit, I have noticed that there is a need of different IC for charging different battery chemistry.But why??
Is every battery chemistry need different kinds of charging technology.
What is the charging technology use for Li-Ion, Li-PO and LiFePO4.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
You need to learn what is the absolute maximum allowed voltage and current ratings for the battery you are charging, and do not allow its discharging voltage to drop below the absolute minimum voltage.
You need to learn how a charging circuit can detect a full charge on the battery then it must turn off the charging.
Some charger circuit detect the temperature of the battery then shut off or slow down if the battery gets hot.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Is every battery chemistry need different kinds of charging technology.
Yes, because each chemistry has different currents and voltages it needs/tolerates when charging.
Otherwise there is the danger of damaging the battery or worse (a fire/explosion for lithium-ion types).

Why would you think all batteries would act the same?
What is the charging technology use for Li-Ion, Li-PO and LiFePO4.
As AGa said, go to the Battery University website.
It explains all the charging protocols.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
We are not chatgpt, we do not write an essay for you when the information is readily available. Read the articles on battery university and come back if you have specific questions.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I have many Li-Ion and Li-PO batteries and their chargers. They are the same chemistry but one has a metal case and the other has a plastic case. I have never seen a newer LiFeP04 battery or its charger that have a lower voltage, lower power and lower risk of an explosion or fire.

Ashad_27

Joined Feb 5, 2023
We are not chatgpt, we do not write an essay for you when the information is readily available. Read the articles on battery university and come back if you have specific questions.
You don't need to write long essays.. If you know then you can share the links or give correct answers.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I am working on battery charger circuit, I have noticed that there is a need of different IC for charging different battery chemistry. But why??
Exactly what you mentioned, it's all about battery chemistry. Charge rates, charge currents, floats all trace back to chemistry of the battery. Charge a battery the wrong way too fast or too slow and really bad things can happen. As suggested Battery University is a wealth of knowledge on batteries, all batteries, their chemistry and the good and the bad.

Battery University™ is a free educational website offering hands-on battery information. The tutorials evaluate the advantages and limitations of diverse battery chemistries, advise on best choices, and suggest ways to extend life.
Battery chargers need to comply with the battery type and chemistry. There really isn't much more to say. Lithium batteries (packs) for example due to chemistry often have internal temperature sensors and charge current needs to be controlled based on internal temperature. SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries

Again Battery University.

The lead acid battery uses the constant current constant voltage (CCCV) charge method. A regulated current raises the terminal voltage until the upper charge voltage limit is reached, at which point the current drops due to saturation. The charge time is 12–16 hours and up to 36–48 hours for large stationary batteries. With higher charge currents and multi-stage charge methods, the charge time can be reduced to 8–10 hours; however, without full topping charge. Lead acid is sluggish and cannot be charged as quickly as other battery systems. (See BU-202: New Lead Acid Systems)

With the CCCV method, lead acid batteries are charged in three stages, which are [1] constant-current charge, [2] topping charge and [3] float charge. The constant-current charge applies the bulk of the charge and takes up roughly half of the required charge time; the topping charge continues at a lower charge current and provides saturation, and the float charge compensates for the loss caused by self-discharge.
Less an understanding of why different battery chemistries react as they do batteries can and do explode and catch fire.

Ron