Battery being drained by something - DIY doorbell

jarojetu

Joined Nov 30, 2023
Hi, maybe the most funny thing you ever seen, but anyways I cant figure it out so asking for help here with my DIY project. So here comes my reason Im here.
  1. I have doorbell button at my front door, something like this:
1701381106818.png
  1. It is wired into the technical room inside the house where I used wireless doorbell button and simple wired it to the switch. The wireless button has 12V (23A) battery inside and on the wires I can measure 2.28V. -> So far all working as expected and when doorbell button outside is pressed the doorbell rings.
1701381185607.png1701381320028.png
  1. I decided to enhance this and add the hue dimmer switch to this setup and make the notification to my mobile through Home Assistant when someone is at the door. So I added Hue Dimmer switch in parallel. It has its own CR2450 3.5V batter. On the wires outside the switch I can measure 2.63V. The setup still working as expected with doorbell ringing and notification sends out as well.

1701381592618.png1701381562855.png

The problem is that after 1-2 days the battery on the Hue Dimmer switch is drained out. Something is eating it and I have no clue how to prevent it ...

Can any of the bosses here help me please and suggest how to improve the setup to prevent the battery dying?

The whole thing looks like this (red batter drained after 1-2 days):

1701381740895.png

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Perhaps the 3.5 volt battery is finding a current path thru the wireless doorbell circuit.

Perhaps the solution could be using a DPST button and removing the common connection.

You can test this by simply removing the connection from either device.

A solution that doesn’t involve changing the button would be to use the button to activate a DPST relay where the two contact sets activate the devices independently.

This would require the relay and a small power supply such as a wall wart.

You could also use the 12 volt battery…but I wouldn’t.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
You cannot simply wire two buttons on different devices together like that.

Agree with @ElectricSpidey that using a DPST button will allow you to activate both buttons with one switch while not connecting them together.

jarojetu

Joined Nov 30, 2023
Thanks both appreciated your effort of reading it and helping!

So your suggestion would be change the outdoor button to something like this and adding another wires pair and basically have:
  1. 2 pairs for led
  2. 2 pairs for remote doorbell
  3. 2 pairs for zigbee switch

Am I correct? :)
1701415826513.png

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks both appreciated your effort of reading it and helping!

So your suggestion would be change the outdoor button to something like this and adding another wires pair and basically have:
  1. 2 pairs for led
  2. 2 pairs for remote doorbell
  3. 2 pairs for zigbee switch

Am I correct? :)
View attachment 308796
Yes, but the other, better suggestion was to isolate the front door switch from the two devices, and the two devices from each other by having the front door switch energize a DPDT relay. This has the advantage of requiring only two wires from the switch and offering additional expansion if yet another device becomes useful.

Even better would be a solid state solution, using MOSFETs. This has the advantage of being a chance to learn something new and very useful. An even more better solution would be to implement RF Link and the integration for Home Assistant and simplify the situation in terms of kludgy hack jobs.

jarojetu

Joined Nov 30, 2023
Again thanks I think I'll go with DPDT relay this sounds pretty easy to do. Let me try to make it and I'll post the result here...

jarojetu

Joined Nov 30, 2023
Hi wizards, reporting as promised.
I used this bad boy:
1701774983586.png
And also change the AC/DC trafo because I was having different voltages there but anyways. It seems like it is working now as expected no battery being drained and when outside switch is pressed both are remote switches are triggered byt this relay. So no changes in wiring and no changes in outside switch -> which is cool...

Thanks again for your help ;)