batery charger as power source for trolling motor

eddie pooch

Joined Oct 8, 2017
Can someone help me with this question ?
I want to use a top notch high amp capacity battery charger for my trolling motor.
A marine battery weighs upwards of 80 lb. Add that weight along with my 240 lbs. the 55 lb thrust trolling motor weighs 24 lbs and my stealth 14 weighs 70 lbs. Heavy load. Also I'm tired of lugging that damn battery from the street across the sand and to the kayak. A charger weighs in at 20-22 lbs.
I troll for 5 minutes at a time at half or quarter power and on occasion on the way into shore maybe 15-20 minutes, I'm 67 and I get a little tired after paddling for 4-5 hours and would only use the motor at full throttle coming home to shore
So.... Can I use a charger as a power source ?
Thank you all for your help

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
So I assume you mean a "charger" that is just a battery, but lighter (and lower capacity) than the one you have? Compare the amp•hour ratings of the batteries, and the power draw of the motor at full throttle. That will give you an idea of how much time you'll get.

eddie pooch

Joined Oct 8, 2017
So I assume you mean a "charger" that is just a battery, but lighter (and lower capacity) than the one you have? Compare the amp•hour ratings of the batteries, and the power draw of the motor at full throttle. That will give you an idea of how much time you'll get.
Wayneh....Thanks for your response.
I guess my question is this: Can I hook up my trolling motor to a battery charger ? Will the charger give off a steady current or is a charger designed to discharge in one burst ? Can a charger give off a steady current for 5 minutes a t a time? and do that multiple times ? I plan on getting a mI plan on getting a Solar Booster pac ES 2500 has 1100 peak amps...

Thanks again for any thoughts you might have.....

eddie

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Can I hook up my trolling motor to a battery charger ?
I guess I don't know the details of such a device. It might be capable of delivering a higher voltage than your motor can tolerate, so I'd want to know more about it before answering. The high amperage rating is not a concern as long as the voltage is OK. The motor will only take the amperage it wants, as long as the voltage is within its specified range.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
Eddie! It won't work if the battery charger is plugged into an outlet on shore!

WTF is this "battery charger"?! Are you talking about something most people call an "emergency starter" or something else? The vast majority of battery chargers on our planet use commercially available A/C grid power to charge batteries. The others are in vehicles or are solar powered.

I doubt that it matters at all, but do you expect us to go googling to see what "stealth 14" comes up, and then figure out which of the search results applies to whatever on earth it is that you're trying to ask us about?

The answers you get here will be no better than the information you provide. That's how it works.