BASIC stamps

stevezila

Joined Dec 19, 2008
Can anyone give me insite getting started using BASIC stamps. I've read a little bit about them and they it seems that they have the potential to solve many of my issues in building stand alone curcuits. A little bit pricy but very flexable. are they easy to interface with a pc? I learned BASIC, well, a long time ago but think that I can pick it back up from a book. Do they have any real big hang ups? Of course I think that I will have to buy a starter kit that has the software to interface w/PC. How about the Parallax products?.................Thanks

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
Can anyone give me insite getting started using BASIC stamps. I've read a little bit about them and they it seems that they have the potential to solve many of my issues in building stand alone curcuits. A little bit pricy but very flexable. are they easy to interface with a pc? I learned BASIC, well, a long time ago but think that I can pick it back up from a book. Do they have any real big hang ups? Of course I think that I will have to buy a starter kit that has the software to interface w/PC. How about the Parallax products?.................Thanks
Well BASIC stamp was one of the first to market to the home hobbyist many years ago so they have a large user base and much useful things have come from that platform. However today they seem to me to be a little dated and very overpriced compared to other offerings.

Many may have suggestion of other systems but I'll just make two.

If you only want to consider programming in the Basic language then check out the Picaxe series:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?c=125

If your willing to try the C programming language then here is my low cost recommendation, the Aurduino platform:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?c=103

Both of these platforms offer free IDE software to allow using your PC to create your programs and download them to the microcontroller module. Neither require a special hardware programmer, just a serial or USB serial cable. Both platforms have a user's forum for getting help and sharing information. Either platform can have you starting at well under $40 depending on specific module you select, I started with a $19 kit.

Good luck

ScareCrow

Joined Dec 11, 2008
I have been dabbling with the stamps for about 10 years now. I started with the stamp 1. The stamps use a form of basic called P-Basic. It is very easy to use and rather flexible. Parallax products are 1st rate also and so is their support.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
My advice would be to wander around the forums for the Stamp, see how newbies are treated, as that will be where you will most likely get a lot of your information.

Also, look at the Nuts & Volts site: I know they run several articles a month for the Stamp; a subscription is worthwhile.

--Rich