base 10 so important in electronics ?why so

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That octave thingy and the doubling of freq....
That's a log function of hearing response

Right?
Wrong.
The perceived intensity of a sound is logarithmic (hence the dB scale for sound intensity) but the frequency of the sound has nothing to do with that.
The perceived musical tones are due to the ratio of the frequencies.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I think Wayneh in post #27 explained it.
In the western musical scale, there a 7 notes with the 8th being double the frequency of the first, hence "octave".
He did. As did others, myself included. My question was specific to the response that was quoted (which was itself a response to a post explaining why that term is used) -- what did THAT have to do with why the term "octave" was used?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
He did. As did others, myself included. My question was specific to the response that was quoted (which was itself a response to a post explaining why that term is used) -- what did THAT have to do with why the term "octave" was used?
Sorry if I misunderstood your question. :oops:
So then we've established that the word octave is derived from octal for the sequence of 8 primary notes in Western music which give a doubling of the frequency.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Since we are on the topic of number base and music, what I find to be a little bit funny is that if you make music on a computer you'll most likely be working with hex. It probably has to do with the fact that most western pop music uses 4 times 4 beats.;)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Since we are on the topic of number base and music, what I find to be a little bit funny is that if you make music on a computer you'll most likely be working with hex. It probably has to do with the fact that most western pop music uses 4 times 4 beats.;)
o_O:confused:o_O:confused:

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Lost in translation perhaps:( Or maybe I'm not sure what the confusion is:confused:

What I was trying to explain is that even though bin->hex is "natural" to computer programmers it doesn't mean that it would be to users of a computer. But since that in most pop music 4*4 beats per verse or chorus, or something that could be divided by 4. Hex is the logical choice for a music program.

I'm talking about events in time not the frequency of a continuous sound wave.

00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F 10 11 12 etc
B------------B------------B------------B------------B

B= Bassdrum in a generic house/techno/trance song for an example.

Hope that clears it a bit.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Lost in translation perhaps:( Or maybe I'm not sure what the confusion is:confused:

What I was trying to explain is that even though bin->hex is "natural" to computer programmers it doesn't mean that it would be to users of a computer. But since that in most pop music 4*4 beats per verse or chorus, or something that could be divided by 4. Hex is the logical choice for a music program.

I'm talking about events in time not the frequency of a continuous sound wave.

00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F 10 11 12 etc
B------------B------------B------------B------------B

B= Bassdrum in a generic house/techno/trance song for an example.

Hope that clears it a bit.

Think the OP's question has been answered.