Barter-Trading

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
If each of us had a value to barter,what would we be worth
as a group.What do you have to barter are you worth anything.
We do all this talking,maybe we are worth-less.What do you
think,we have had solutions for the economy,what could we do for ourselfes.This is barter ,not money.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I'm having problem telling you what I am worth,I have a fire place set
about 10 pieces with metal screen,that opens and close like blinds.
I have a chain pull lift and a lift with a electric motor,both rated
at least a 1000 pounds. This is a start.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'm not sure what you're asking for, but I had to haggle a bit to buy a christmas present this year :D

It was an Epiphone Chet Atkins acoustic-electric guitar. Really nice and fairly rare. I found it at an indoor flea market store. It had a crack in the neck, but it was well repaired. I was still able to use it to my advantage, though. They were asking about $200 for it. I pointed out the crack and was eventually able to talk them down to $150. It isn't really bartering, but it's haggling, and I wanted to mention it :D

The recipient was very surprised. It's probably one of the greatest gifts I've ever given :)

Oh, and a friend of mine tried bartering with me for my car today. He has an old volvo station wagon that he paid $700 for. I have an '84 BMW that I paid $500. He wanted to trade, but I really like my BMW (even though it doesn't work right now--it's a simple fix). It's not done yet, but I'm thinking of having him pay me $300 on top of giving me the volvo for the BMW.

I have to mention that my car really isn't in very good shape, so I might make a profit here, if I decide to go ahead with the trade :D

BMW.jpg

(Photo of it is before I bought it. It's in slightly worse shape, now :p)

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Moderators ,please don't move,this is not flea market.Its barter,trying to find value
in a bad economy,It seem to be working...give it a chance..lets see whhere it go's.
Maybe someone had bushel of corn and vegtables..who knows. When you have to
think about what you got and post it,its not easy.I thinking i need to get rid of my
ware house,the stuff I,m paying to store may not worth the rent.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ joey999,I could be a contract helper,what have you got to contract out
with 1099. Run errands take things apart and put them together.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Wishful thinking,Joey could have room for about 500 tools and stuff
never to leave,but let loosewire have access and maybe Loosewire
would be of help as a trusted friend able to do something worth while.
This the way a barter starts,I have good references.
Wishfully yours Loosewire...I have pm who knows
I could buy one the witches brooms and let it sweep.
The lifts would come along,if needed. This would be part time
as needed,and out of the way. 10 minutes away by the expressway.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Loosie, there are no loose screws about this concept. I've been thinking about this for a long time now, even before PayPal came out. Instead of using money, we create something like AAC Dollars.

We need a better name for this. Let's hear some bright ideas.

We trade with each other using AAC$. No money ever change hands. We develop our own debit/credit system. Someone does PCB layout for me, I do some programming for another, someone else etches the board. We all win.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I see now I was way off topic with my post :D Sorry about that, Loosie :p

That's an interesting idea, about the AAC$. I would be interested to see if this goes anywhere. Might be a good way to help one another :)

Regards

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
This post is a work in progress; I come back and edit this post as I think of things. I will mark additions with UPDATE.
I have a garage full of industrial parts.
  • chains (drive chain)
  • sprockets
  • pulleys
  • sheaves
  • gears
  • bearings
  • taper lock bushings
  • 1 doz different 3 phase fractional hp motors
  • pumps
  • wire & cable
  • relays (all kinds & sizes, time day, etc)
  • contactors
  • control voltage transformers
  • switches (multipoint selector, toggle, spring return, etc)
  • pushbuttons + contact blocks
  • panel meters analog & digital (voltage, current, pusle)
  • prox switches
  • ultrasonic transducers
  • limit switches
  • timers
  • solenoid valves
  • load cells
  • foot pedal switches
  • analog brushed tachogenerators
  • optical encoders
  • a couple of DC drives (need repair)
  • a couple of AC VFDs (one new, one used but working)
  • UPDATEseveral DC power supplies 12V & 24V (not bench power supplies, they are fixed control voltage power supplies)
  • much much more, can't remember all of it. If you need something, ask. I probably have it.
Most of this is used industrial quality stuff; salvaged off of scrapped industrial machines, but all in good working order, maybe a little cosmetic damage.

• oscopes (I have 2; one works one doesn't. probably both need cal)
  • other test equipment I haven't tested yet; will post details later

I also have a bunch of old ICs and components. I don't know what all I have there yet.

I am putting together a list of everything I have, with details. I will post it here if I ever finish it.

I can offer services (I am currently pretty occupied with my full time job, but will be more available by this time next year. Keep me in mind.);
  • I am good at troubleshooting & upgrading/retrofitting automated machines.
  • I have enough parts I could probably conceive you a purpose-built machine from scratch, whatever you need.
  • I am ok (just ok) at troubleshooting automotive electrical.
  • I can weld ok (just ok) and have my own welder
  • I am ok (just ok) at woodwork; building decks and such
  • I can install & mend fences (don't have fencing tools though)
  • I can make hand forged knives
  • I can make leather goods
  • I am always willing to do grunt work.
  • UPDATEI have a truck, and can move your stuff. I can back a trailer up too, but I don't have a trailer.

Things I want:
  • a drill press
  • a cnc machine
  • an end mill
  • a lathe
  • tax preparation
  • UPDATErolling tool box
  • UPDATEprecious metals
  • UPDATEguns & ammo
  • UPDATEHome improvement supplies (I'm building an apartment; need a stove, sink, shower, sheetrock, 2X4's, carpet, linoleum, electrical outlets, cabinets, light fixtures, etc)
  • UPDATEpink kids luggage

Viva trade!
BTW loosie, thanks for this. I have been meaning to throw all this out on the forum for a while and you prompted me to.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
yeah I dont get it. maybe I missed the point of the post. Am I on track loosie? if so, why don't you want this in the flea market?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
@ joey999,I could be a contract helper,what have you got to contract out
with 1099. Run errands take things apart and put them together.
Not sure how I got drawn into this conversion....

I'd be afraid to hire you! We spend all our time in heated philosophical debates...

And I'd probably lose (due to exhaustion) :)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Not sure how I got drawn into this conversion....
you weren't here already? Seeing loosie's multiple references to you, it looked like he was in a one sided debate. I assumed it was once a 2 sided debate and you had removed your posts. guess not. that only confuses me further. WTH is going on here?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
This is about barter,I name some things to barter and every one had a chance
to join the barter.If nobody put up to barter the post will die,please don't move it
this may the last post. Joey,answered and that end of that,no barter. I was exploring
so just let this post die.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
This is about barter,I name some things to barter and every one had a chance
to join the barter.If nobody put up to barter the post will die,please don't move it
this may the last post. Joey,answered and that end of that,no barter. I was exploring
so just let this post die.
Screw that. Im not giving up on barter that easy. I'm creating my own thread in th flea market and moving my post there.