Bankers lamp problem

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Ballast. AC comes in and one white lead (presumably the hot lead) goes to the ballast. From there the other white wire goes to what is probably a fluorescent lamp. There is probably two switches; one that you press and hold until the lamp starts and the other to interrupt power so as to turn it off. But for sure there are other means of firing up a fluorescent lamp. There could be a starter inside the lamp housing near the switch that turns the lamp on and off.
1675010642889.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
For a florescent lamp the "silver box" IS a ballast device. But given no more details as to what is connected to those wires, we can give no advice at all, except "to dispose of it responsibly." The rest of the connections can provide useful information.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Does anyone know what the silver box in the photo could be? It’s from an old bankers lamp with a fluorescent bulb. Thank you.
Appears to have some kind of id letters/numbers?
If so, can you read them?
Can you measure the resistance of the objects leads?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Appears to have some kind of id letters/numbers?
If so, can you read them?
Can you measure the resistance of the objects leads?
Based on the way a bunch of wires are connected: terminals and wire nuts, and a modern black plastic line cord, it has been worked on quite a bit. If there are only the two leads on the ballast then the starter scheme may be a double button switch, which we have seen in another thread a few month back. No starter. And no response back from the TS. Clearly it has been seriously "worked on" though.
And I am not sure what a "Banker's Lamp" is. I have seen two desk lamps like that through. They made so much RFI that I disposed of the one I had. No point in repairing it even.