BACnet over IP sensor

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
There seems to be tons of information out there as to how to connect up BACnet and implement Building Managent systems, but almost nothing about how to make a sensor to connect to it.
So, I‘d like to design a device that can supply half a dozen analogue parameters and a few on/off binary levels.
What I know so far is that each is called an “object”, the system controller sends a UDP datagram to the sensor, and the sensor responds by sending the data that was requested as another UDP datagram.
And also, that if a parameter strays outside a set band, the sensor sends that data without being asked.
I’m guessing that one of those USRiot modules can handle the UDP datagrams, and all I have to do is decode the serial data, and send the reply.
Have I hugely underestimated what is involved? Any pointers to useful application notes, microcontroller software examples etc. would be much appreciated.

CFCbazar.com

Joined Sep 25, 2020
Hi Ian0,
please provide a circuit when you are asking questions. BACnet is just a protocol. UDP is the complement of TCP, the protocol sends information but does not require a response from the opposite side that the information was received, unlike TCP which will not send more packets until it receives a confirmation.

If your module has a sensor and an MCU, the MCU reads the analog or digital data from the sensor and then sends it via UDP to a cental processing module, which handles your control.

I don't know why the name was changed from SmartHouse to a building management system, but it can be done very easily. The biggest problem is the regulatory and legal requirements and calling the police, which will require a connection to a phone line.

If by this "few on/off binary levels" you mean 1 for a switch on and 0 for a switch off, then this is possible. I suggest that you specify the MCU for this project(I will guess Arduino Mega 2560 or NodeMCU 8266). Processing analog sensors and digital switches is not a problem. For the analog sensors you have to learn how to use software filters.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Hi Ian0,
please provide a circuit when you are asking questions. BACnet is just a protocol. UDP is the complement of TCP, the protocol sends information but does not require a response from the opposite side that the information was received, unlike TCP which will not send more packets until it receives a confirmation.

If your module has a sensor and an MCU, the MCU reads the analog or digital data from the sensor and then sends it via UDP to a cental processing module, which handles your control.

I don't know why the name was changed from SmartHouse to a building management system, but it can be done very easily. The biggest problem is the regulatory and legal requirements and calling the police, which will require a connection to a phone line.

If by this "few on/off binary levels" you mean 1 for a switch on and 0 for a switch off, then this is possible. I suggest that you specify the MCU for this project(I will guess Arduino Mega 2560 or NodeMCU 8266). Processing analog sensors and digital switches is not a problem. For the analog sensors you have to learn how to use software filters.
I don't have a circuit. I'll not be designing the circuit until I have determined if I can implement the software. It won't look like much - just a microcontroller connected to some inputs via suitable resistive dividers, and a 3.3V linear power supply.
Most likely my choice of microprocessor will be the LPC1517.
From what I know of BACnet already, the sensor doesn't send any data until it is asked, unless a COV situation occurs.
The sensor does not connect to a telephone line. That is the job of the controller. I'm designing a sensor.
The sensors will be measuring mains voltage (via an isolating transformer), mains current (via a current transformer) and a few other parameters. The software squares the reading, filters it via a CIC filter with the comb centred on 100Hz to remove the ripple and then takes the square root via a quadratic approximation, to get the RMS value.