This isn't an automotive modification or an automotive how-to; just a showcase of the latest hole I've dug myself into:
Last year my step father loaned his '94 Celica to my (now -ex)-brother-in-law. The XBIL said he was driving to work one day and the car just died on the highway with a loud bang. I went and looked at it and the engine was siezed. He said he had checked the oil and had it changed regularly, though he had no oil change sticker or receipt for any oil changes in the past 15K miles.
So upon pulling the A/C compressor I found this:
<that's a flattened/battered connecting rod end cap in my hand; I reached my hand through the giant gaping hole in the block and pulled it out.>
I figured it wouldn't be too hard to swap the engine; I've done that before on old (50's-70's) trucks and it was no big deal. I had him order an engine off E-bay, claimed to be pulled from an identical previously running/wrecked 1994 Celica GT, and warrantied for 30 days. I figured all the wiring and sensors on this newer model would slow things up, so I have been waiting on a 3 day weekend so I could get it all done in one go; preferred over getting half way through and then trying to pick up where I left off weeks or months previously.
This was the weekend. I Pulled the "new" engine out of the back of the garage and looked critically at it for the first time. It wasn't the same. I checked the ID tags on it when it came in, and they matched, but the wiring harness was radically different. This did NOT come from an identical celica. Some of the sensors were different and ALL of the plugs were different.
I decided that rather than try to make the new wiring harness work with my car, or trying to make my wiring harness fit the new motor, I would take the head, exhaust, everything off my motor and put it on the new block. That seems simpler, and plus my head is recently rebuilt. Given the inaccuracies of the ebay listing, and since I would alread have the new engine disassembled, I figured it would be stupid to not just go ahead and rebuild the new block before slapping my head on it. So now I'm in for my first engine rebuild and it isn't even my car. I couldn't get a rebuild kit on such short notice, so now I'm in that "limbo" that I was trying to avoid - of being in the middle of a project with no end zone and with my memories getting stale.
So, there she sits, in my driveway with no engine, and two engines in my garage. I will put up some more pics of the carnage when I get the rebuild kit and start tearing into the block.
Last year my step father loaned his '94 Celica to my (now -ex)-brother-in-law. The XBIL said he was driving to work one day and the car just died on the highway with a loud bang. I went and looked at it and the engine was siezed. He said he had checked the oil and had it changed regularly, though he had no oil change sticker or receipt for any oil changes in the past 15K miles.
So upon pulling the A/C compressor I found this:
<that's a flattened/battered connecting rod end cap in my hand; I reached my hand through the giant gaping hole in the block and pulled it out.>
I figured it wouldn't be too hard to swap the engine; I've done that before on old (50's-70's) trucks and it was no big deal. I had him order an engine off E-bay, claimed to be pulled from an identical previously running/wrecked 1994 Celica GT, and warrantied for 30 days. I figured all the wiring and sensors on this newer model would slow things up, so I have been waiting on a 3 day weekend so I could get it all done in one go; preferred over getting half way through and then trying to pick up where I left off weeks or months previously.
This was the weekend. I Pulled the "new" engine out of the back of the garage and looked critically at it for the first time. It wasn't the same. I checked the ID tags on it when it came in, and they matched, but the wiring harness was radically different. This did NOT come from an identical celica. Some of the sensors were different and ALL of the plugs were different.
I decided that rather than try to make the new wiring harness work with my car, or trying to make my wiring harness fit the new motor, I would take the head, exhaust, everything off my motor and put it on the new block. That seems simpler, and plus my head is recently rebuilt. Given the inaccuracies of the ebay listing, and since I would alread have the new engine disassembled, I figured it would be stupid to not just go ahead and rebuild the new block before slapping my head on it. So now I'm in for my first engine rebuild and it isn't even my car. I couldn't get a rebuild kit on such short notice, so now I'm in that "limbo" that I was trying to avoid - of being in the middle of a project with no end zone and with my memories getting stale.
So, there she sits, in my driveway with no engine, and two engines in my garage. I will put up some more pics of the carnage when I get the rebuild kit and start tearing into the block.
Attachments
-
88.1 KB Views: 154
-
65.7 KB Views: 155
-
78.4 KB Views: 152
-
78.4 KB Views: 153
-
94.8 KB Views: 159