Automatic sistem for opening/closing a sliding gate

neo1111

Joined Jan 11, 2014
I am planning to build an automatic gate opener using an Arduino UNO . I think it can be done using that .
I plan to use a DC motor(2 phase ) which will be connected via a ac-dc adapter to the main power source. I intend to use a driver motor and implement a program in arduino in which my motor will go clockwise 10 seconds let's say and 10 secs anticlockwise (open the gate/close the gate) .
I plan to connect to arduino uno also a set of sensors : 2 signaling lamps ,a set of fotocells in case of obstacles-to stop in case of emergency - this also should be implemented in the program , and a transmiting/receiving unit -this is for the remote that opens and closes the gate .
What kind of advices can you provide me? It can be done this ?
I must say that i don't have plenty experience but i''m eager to learn and perfectionate myself .
Cheers!!! ( please don't be harsh )

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you use something like a motor operated linear actuator, you just set limits for the open and close position, no need for timers, which may give imprecise results for this application.
Max.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I just built an Arduino controller for my 16ft swing gate that features soft-start, soft-stop, and obstacle detection. I am using a reversible speed-controlled (pwm) linear actuator with a built-in 10-turn position-sensing pot. There was a lot of discussion about the actuator used here and here.

I could be talked into posting my schematic and code...

Last edited:

neo1111

Joined Jan 11, 2014
I just built an Arduino controller for my 16ft swing gate that features soft-start, soft-stop, and obstacle detection. I am using a reversible speed-controlled (pwm) linear actuator with a built-in 10-turn position-sensing pot. There was a lot of discussion about the actuator used here and here.

I could be talked into posting my schematic and code...
What do you mean by ,,be talked into ,, ? The schemathics are made in proteus or ultiboard?:d
Anyway , i could really use some sort of help .