Audiophile stuff

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ethernet-switch-for-audiophiles
The Ethernet Switch UEF costs a substantial $2,595, which will make it appealing to only the most diehard of audiophiles. For comparison, your average, off-the-shelf 5-port GbE unmanaged switch from TP-Link costs less than $20. And a Netgear GS305P v2 will set you back $70. So stepping up to the Ethernet Switch UEF is a big ask.

The unit is equipped with Active EM Cell technology which claims to close the gap between digital audio quality and good old-fashioned analog tapes and LPs. To "further improve audio quality," the switch is constructed from a solid billet of aluminum and uses carbon fiber to eliminate chassis vibrations from making their way into the switch (which the company claims could interfere with the digital signal). There's even an optional SR Ground Block that serves as a ground for the switch.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Yep, the ridiculous high price will certainly appeal "to only the most diehard of audiophiles". That much is true!

I love this part: "close the gap between digital audio quality and good old-fashioned analog tapes and LPs. " So, what, it adds hiss and scratch sounds to your digital audio?

Bob

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://upscaleaudio.com/products/audioquest-fog-lifters-set-of-8
1639763094181.png
AudioQuest’s Fog Lifters work so well because of how effectively they address a significant source of misinformation—Radio-Frequency Noise coupled from the floor into audio and AC cables.

A carpet or wood floor, not to mention a concrete floor, might not at first seem like a source of RF Noise, but in fact RF energy is all around us and always wants to go wherever it can find a lower energy state.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Some people just can't find enough new high-end toys to blow their Money on.
I’m putting together a recording studio in my Garage, all my friends are Musicians now retired, had careers normal so to say, early on though young impulsive creative really nice talented folks.

One of them stated while I also assisted Moving his left over business stuff he wanted to keep, he said something profound.

Now that I’m retired I want to just write and play music, I don’t care about making it as a “musician” gave that up as a kid, but now as a retired adult music is my life from now on, I don’t have enough time, need to manage my properties, rentals etc. but, I do get together with my band mates and we write and record, have like 65 songs to work on, a few we have added to a final list completed. Put on reverb nation and other Free sites.

It makes him happy, when he picks up his Ol Strat, or what his wife purchased for him, he glows about this $7000 Rickenbacker Pete Townshend limited edition six string electric guitar. You and I would say, the same as above just don’t understand? Well it’s his money, he earned it, every cent, and compared to my equipment btw I collect guitars, but $200 - $300 max buy them cheap, but worth double what I paid, after working on them.

It made me think, it was the one thing, like the quote from a movie, the one thing in life that makes him or me happy. Music does that, so I set about changing my own retirement goal, that my Garage was not just a lab anymore, sure I can still fix electronics putter around with them, but I will pursue musical or sound equipment e.g. Recording or chagrin my own skills as an artist, then love what I do, not what I have to do for income right now which is smart devices and home security.

Before in my career at the university it was networking, and broadcast, but those skills are important in my new endeavor, to record, podcast, talk about music in a real way, in an organic mystical at times, transformative, healing, how music effects people, a form of communication, it’s a friend when in a time of need, when you don’t have one or if your away from home how it brings you back to center, takes you back to a moment in time, to a place on the planet, maybe a particular song spoke to you.

For instance, I’m currently learning some lead licks from “Black Magic Women” I loved the latin sort of Jazzy sound it made can still see and ol cabinet 70’s style record player, with the sliding top that revealed the player with needle waiting for a record, which BTW was an expensive addition back then, my parents could never afford, but this kids dad could afford. A moment in time, I was like 12 or 13 at the time can’t remember my own age but do remember that song on that day, the album was played over and over.

Oh, didn’t tell you one of my closes friends opened for Santana here in Utah, in our rendition of Woodstock, he was with the lead singer “Guess Who” the Bands name was “Under the Gun” Lead guitarist taught me 3 notes on a bass guitar. From there I have never stopped in my desire for the pursuit in music as a healing method a hobby of many things I do as a human on the planet. Now, I have my friends and hope to find new people who share the same desire.

Thanks @nsaspook for sharing, my brother in-law works for Boeing a programmer for the Black Box and other for the company. Lol., has 7k in audiophile equipment, my friend above that retired told me his brother has a music collection in the Terra bites, allows him to do some sort of online radio or maybe he’s broadcasting still not sure but I will learn more about him in time, it’s what he chose in his retirement, but ya, it’s all about music.

Rock on…………………….

kv

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
I feel like I somehow missed part of the conversation ................

What does making or simply enjoying Music have to do with
stupidly over-priced, over-hyped "Esoteric" style Equipment ?

I've always enjoyed all sorts of Music,
and thoroughly enjoyed pulling-off miracles for Live-Performances, Radio,
both huge and small Night-Club-Venues, Free-Outdoor-Concerts, etc.,
none of which ever required, or even would have benefited from,
any piece of Equipment that could be remotely considered "Audiophile-Grade".

It all comes down to having a very good understanding of the operation of,
and interactions between, a huge variety of rather pedestrian, but "reasonable-quality" pieces of gear.
I've even resorted to the use of "Consumer-Grade" junk in a pinch,
because I know what it can, and cannot do.

It's not necessary to spend astronomical wads of Cash to get an excellent Sound.
Too many people think that in order to get top-quality results
you simply have to buy the very best equipment, and if that doesn't work, you must buy still more.
When what really needs to happen,
is a thorough, hands-on, empirical, education into what
actually needs to happen to achieve the desired end result.
I've only met maybe 3 people who could do this in a intuitive, and reasonably practical manner,
I have no clue why this ability should be so rare.

To me being an Audiophile is like owning a warehouse full of Formula-1 Race-Cars,
but the guy has never driven anything in an actual race.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I have thoroughly enjoyed music in many different styles all my life. I have built my own audio equipment ever since I became a teen-ager.
I have notice in all the reviews of high end audiophile equipment, that no actual tests or measurements are made to support their claims of the music qualities that can not be measured directly. Those can be tested by an independent group listening to different types of music using best available equipment with and without the enhancements they are selling.
Without any supporting evidence, Their pseudo-technical claims are designed to appeal to the extreme audiophile's feelings of superiority and snobbishness.
Good luck to them, if they can get away with it!

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I feel like I somehow missed part of the conversation ................

What does making or simply enjoying Music have to do with
stupidly over-priced, over-hyped "Esoteric" style Equipment ?

I've always enjoyed all sorts of Music,
and thoroughly enjoyed pulling-off miracles for Live-Performances, Radio,
both huge and small Night-Club-Venues, Free-Outdoor-Concerts, etc.,
none of which ever required, or even would have benefited from,
any piece of Equipment that could be remotely considered "Audiophile-Grade".

It all comes down to having a very good understanding of the operation of,
and interactions between, a huge variety of rather pedestrian, but "reasonable-quality" pieces of gear.
I've even resorted to the use of "Consumer-Grade" junk in a pinch,
because I know what it can, and cannot do.

It's not necessary to spend astronomical wads of Cash to get an excellent Sound.
Too many people think that in order to get top-quality results
you simply have to buy the very best equipment, and if that doesn't work, you must buy still more.
When what really needs to happen,
is a thorough, hands-on, empirical, education into what
actually needs to happen to achieve the desired end result.
I've only met maybe 3 people who could do this in a intuitive, and reasonably practical manner,
I have no clue why this ability should be so rare.

To me being an Audiophile is like owning a warehouse full of Formula-1 Race-Cars,
but the guy has never driven anything in an actual race.
@Ian0 made me realize I was in the wrong, I didn’t read your post correctly and interpreted it in an incorrect light.

My apologies.

Thanks, @Ian0 for correcting me.

kv

Edit: My ignore list is back to zero, lol

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have a Tele, Strat clone, and Fender Jazz bass.
My formative years were cemented with an addiction to The Shadows, The Ventures and The Beach Boys music.
Now, me and fellow enthusiasts get together every Friday night to relive those memories playing other stuff, Steely Dan, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Van Morrison, Sting... you name it, we play it!!!

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I have a Tele, Strat clone, and Fender Jazz bass.
My formative years were cemented with an addiction to The Shadows, The Ventures and The Beach Boys music.
Now, me and fellow enthusiasts get together every Friday night to relive those memories playing other stuff, Steely Dan, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Van Morrison, Sting... you name it, we play it!!!
I would have to say, there are a few folks with the Audiophile buzz about them, yet they also enjoy playing music.

Good to know, I think I knew but thx for reminding me.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
True, we play a lot of '60s '70s music. But we also play Great Big Sea, Mumford & Sons, Tragically Hip, The Lumineers, Journey, Justin Bieber...
If you and your band ever, ever play something by Dream Theater, you will have earned my enduring and everlasting admiration...

Last edited:

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Steely Dan is some of the hardest to duplicate accurately but
this bunch of crazy Russians make it look easy ..............
They also do all of Chicago's Hits BETTER THAN Chicago !!!