Audio Output

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’m using the Sparkfun Music Maker shield, and I’m taking the line out output. The shield uses the VS1053 codec. Line output consist of a L & R output, plus an audio ground. For purposes of this discussion, I’m only concerned with the R channel.

What happens if I tie the audio ground to circuit ground?

If I don’t, then what does the R channel signal look like w.r.t. circuit ground?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I don’t believe have the equipment (oscilloscope) to measure one. I’ve considered writing a sketch to output the analog reads, but need to get additional microSD cards.. Until they come, I thought you guys could help.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The signal is already coupled with a 0.1μf cap. My concern is that the audio signal ground may be +1.1V above circuit ground. I’m sending the R channel into an op amp and I’m not sure of the input voltage range. Is it 0V-2.2V or ?-1.1V?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I thought I was sure. Now, not so much. The schematic for the Music Maker is unreadable.

When I get home, I can check the voltage between the audio ground and circuit ground. If they’re the same, I should get 0V. If not, I expect something around 1.2V

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I thought I was sure. Now, not so much. The schematic for the Music Maker is unreadable.

When I get home, I can check the voltage between the audio ground and circuit ground. If they’re the same, I should get 0V. If not, I expect something around 1.2V
I found the VS1053 datasheet, see the pdf below. It states:
The common buffer GBUF can be used for common voltage (1.23 V) for earphones. This will eliminate
the need for large isolation capacitors on line outputs, and thus the audio output pins from VS1053b may
be connected directly to the earphone connector.
GBUF must NOT be connected to ground under any circumstances. If GBUF is not used, LEFT and
RIGHT must be provided with coupling capacitors. To keep GBUF stable, you should always have the
resistor and capacitor even when GBUF is not used.

Data Sheet:
https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/SMD/vs1053.pdf

Have fun,
Keith

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I found the VS1053 datasheet, see the pdf below. It states:
The common buffer GBUF can be used for common voltage (1.23 V) for earphones. This will eliminate
the need for large isolation capacitors on line outputs, and thus the audio output pins from VS1053b may
be connected directly to the earphone connector.
GBUF must NOT be connected to ground under any circumstances. If GBUF is not used, LEFT and
RIGHT must be provided with coupling capacitors. To keep GBUF stable, you should always have the
resistor and capacitor even when GBUF is not used.

Data Sheet:
https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/SMD/vs1053.pdf

Have fun,
Keith
Thanks for finding that! I’m reading through it now.

I need to measure one channel’s output w.r.t. ground. Specifically the positive signal value relative to GBUF for one channel.

I had a circuit that worked but no one had explained to me how. I may have input a negative voltage to the + input of a single supply op amp (should’ve blown it up) and I tied GBUF to ground (explicitly prohibited by the data sheet). But it has been working.

What I’m looking for is how to obtain the + side of an audio signal. I’ve tried several approaches. Including adding a 1.2V offset to the signal. But if I can feel comfy with the voltage between the channel and ground...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I don’t believe have the equipment (oscilloscope) to measure one. I’ve considered writing a sketch to output the analog reads, but need to get additional microSD cards.. Until they come, I thought you guys could help.
DJ, a few months ago, I bought this cheap-o scope and have been getting pretty decent results (considering its limitations of course) with it. And it only costs a little over $30.00 bucks in Amazon! And even less if you buy through Banggood.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Thanks for finding that! I’m reading through it now.

I need to measure one channel’s output w.r.t. ground. Specifically the positive signal value relative to GBUF for one channel.

I had a circuit that worked but no one had explained to me how. I may have input a negative voltage to the + input of a single supply op amp (should’ve blown it up) and I tied GBUF to ground (explicitly prohibited by the data sheet). But it has been working.

What I’m looking for is how to obtain the + side of an audio signal. I’ve tried several approaches. Including adding a 1.2V offset to the signal. But if I can feel comfy with the voltage between the channel and ground...
Try connecting the + audio out to the op amp input through a 10 uF capacitor.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
DJ, a few months ago, I bought this cheap-o scope and have been getting pretty decent results (considering its limitations of course) with it. And it only costs a little over $30.00 bucks in Amazon! And even less if you buy through Banggood.
I have one too, it works very well. I bought a better probe for it, didn't cost much more.

I am considering a slightly better one, ~$100 range for my tiny toolkit.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Can't wait to hear how it went... :)
Came in the mail today. I’m waiting for some micro SD cards to set up a test.

My first reaction. The one-page instruction sheet is printed so small that I need stronger readers or maybe scan it and blow up the image to where I can read it.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Came in the mail today. I’m waiting for some micro SD cards to set up a test.

My first reaction. The one-page instruction sheet is printed so small that I need stronger readers or maybe scan it and blow up the image to where I can read it.
Already did that myself ... here you go

DSO188.jpg

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
And, BTW. I've noticed that this place compresses original images even further, that's why the image in my previous post is not as clear as it should be. Here's the original, attached in a ZIP file so you can download it and see it with a little better resolution.

Attachments