ATV Headlight Circuit using Diodes to control High/Low

Zgriffing

Joined May 7, 2016
I'm in the process of replacing my stock headlights on my 03' Yamaha Wolverine. The original headlights had dual filament bulbs and three leads coming out of each housing. One for ground, one for low beam, and one for high beam. The lights I'm replacing them with are round 27w LED pod lights that only have two leads. What I'm trying to run one pod on low and both pods on high. I think this is doable with the help of a diode, I just don't know enough about them to know which ones to use, how much they are rated for, and anything else that would prevent the circuit from working. The original circuit uses a switch that only uses the positive side of the circuit, the lights are grounded to the frame and so is the battery. the switch has one positive lead going in and a single output lead for the low beam and a single output lead for the high beam. Those wires then split and go to each headlight. EPSON001.JPG What I want to do is hook one pod up for the low beam and have both pods hooked up for the high beam. I've drawn a circuit on how I want to run it but I'm unsure if it will work or what kind of diode I need to use if it will work. Here is a schematic of the circuit I want to run. image_zps7nrjohp9.jpeg
Also here is what I'm working on:
image_zpsanh8dohu.jpeg
Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

Zgriffing

Joined May 7, 2016
Thanks Dodgydave, also for got to mention these lights pull 2.25A @ 12v. So this is doable and I wont have any foreseeable problems?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
At 2.25A the 1N5400/7 diodes will drop a little over 0.8V.
A Schottky diode, such as these, would drop about 0.55V but that may not make much difference in the LED brightness.
So either type should be fine.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
There should a setup readily available.. But couldn't he just use pwm to control both leds or use a mosfet setup to limit the voltage for low beam and fully saturated for high???

Zgriffing

Joined May 7, 2016
It would be cool to run a more advanced setup but I'm looking for a bare bones simple as it gets setup due to the fact that the location I'm installing it in gets wet very easily. I'd rather not go through the trouble of having to waterproof some module. It's going in the fender well where mud and water gets thrown.