Motorcycle 6v AC Headlight circuit R/R mod.

rossi1959

Joined Aug 9, 2017
Hi All, I'm new here so please forgive my ignorance if I have posted in the wrong place. My question has probably been answered a hundred times and I have looked at the floating type circuit but I don't know if I need to do that and I'm not totally conversant in what actually I should do here. I have a Honda CT110 and it is a 6 volt system with regulated/ rectified battery system for all accessories except the head and tail light which are powered by their own AC stator coil. pretty standard fare. The headlight switch has a 3 ohm 30 watt ceramic resistor to absorb extra current and has tested OK for resistance. But Head and Tail bulbs keep blowing, I want to run LED Head and tail from this circuit and wish to know if my idea to wire in a 6 volt R/R is OK or not. see attached file for bikes wiring schematic. I have purchased a 6 volt 4 wire R/R and have found a simple diagram for wiring into the circuit but am not sure about it, please see attached diagram. Will this simple circuit work? and would I still need to use the original resistor for this? Or would I fully wire the R/R into the Lighting circuit, using the Yellow AC from stator to input of R/R and earth the R/R to chassis and take DC out to the Head and tail lights leaving one pin of the R/R free? Any help will be muchly appreciated.
Cheers, rossi.

Attachments

rossi1959

Joined Aug 9, 2017
After a bit more study the simple circuit I attached in my first post would only Regulate the voltage and not Rectify the AC to DC for a LED head and Tail light.
The other problem I might encounter is the new Head and Tail Light Reg/Rec if wired in as a stand alone unit for Head and Tail Lights might cause problems if grounded with the charging systems Reg/Rec because the lighting coil is grounded. Any thoughts people.