Attaching an E L Wire to a switch, what do I need to do please (basic schematic attached)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi Bernard, some success but when I add the light it either doesn't work or overloads.

Checking my connections (option 1)
Ledberg neg to ps12v neg to MW neg
Ledberg pos to ps12v pos to MW pos
Light neg to MW light neg
Light pos to Ledberg pos (a separate Ledberg arm or does it go into the terminal strip with the Ledberg and 12v pos?)

As a back up I've ordered a 12v light, I think this will stop a lot of issues and get things working.

@djsfantasi always happy for your input as you know. Bernard obviously when you have a spare mo, appreciate your time as you know.
...and where is the transistor?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Oh have I missed something? I didn't see a transistor in option one? :-/ apologies if I've overlooked it.
Forgot you were going with Option 1. There is no transistor there. But the connection I highlighted is still wrong. I suggest that you review Bernard’s diagram again. There is no direct connection from the Ledberg 24V and the 12V positive outputs. The MW is between them.

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Forgot you were going with Option 1. There is no transistor there. But the connection I highlighted is still wrong. I suggest that you review Bernard’s diagram again. There is no direct connection from the Ledberg 24V and the 12V positive outputs. The MW is between them.
No that's a connection from the Ledberg to the 12vps input then the output of the 12vps goes to the MW panel.

The Ledberg is the power source so has to be connected to the 12vps or there's no power. I think it just needs a lower V light.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Yes I am and that's what I've done.
Good. I think the confusion arises on how you’re connecting the MW light output to the Ledberg light.

So now that we agree on how to power the MW module, can you summarize the connections to the Ledberg light, the Ledberg power supply and the MW module?

Remember, you have to match up the supply voltage and the voltage required to operate the device. The MW runs on 12V. It’s output is likely 12V as well. But your light is 24V? How is that going to work?*

Finding a 12V light might be the simplest solution. Then you can run the MW and the light from the 24V to 12V converter.

* the suggestion to use a transistor solved that mismatch. But a 12V light is simplest.

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
@Bernard and @djsfantasi

Fanfare please! 12v light worked. The light is meant to come on when the door opens, it doesn't but it does come on when the microwave is "working" so that's fine. I can always put a cupboard light in if I want a "door open" light.

But by jove we've done it! I'll present the kitchen on Sunday now. Just need to fit it up.

Thanks again and I'll upload a video soon.

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
If.
Don't go there, you've been brilliant from the beginning, we've come a looooong way. I will say I'm proud of what I've learnt. I wouldn't have been able to figure out that a lower voltage light would work before this, that's for sure but couldn't have learnt anything without you and Bernard's patience.