Atmel Studio 7 Vs. MPLAB X

DHembree

Joined Sep 10, 2018
I am beginning a new project and am considering switching from Atmel Studio 7 to MPLAB X. I do not have a lot of experience with Studio 7, and the project will not require extensive or complex code requirements. I am by no means an expert programmer and would like the the most straightforward and easy to use solution, but something more powerful and professional than the Arduino IDE.

Thanks for the input,
Dan

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am beginning a new project and am considering switching from Atmel Studio 7 to MPLAB X. I do not have a lot of experience with Studio 7, and the project will not require extensive or complex code requirements. I am by no means an expert programmer and would like the the most straightforward and easy to use solution, but something more powerful and professional than the Arduino IDE.

Thanks for the input,
Dan
Is it your understanding that both development environments support the processors that you want to use? When Atmel and Microchip were separate companies there was no such thing as crossover support.

DHembree

Joined Sep 10, 2018
Good to know. I can tell you that many people have complained about MPLAB X when it replaced MPLAB 8.92 for the PIC processors about 6 years ago. I have used the Atmel products from 2007 to 2013 and found them to be generally capable and intuitive.
I'm pretty much resolved to stay with Studio7. Thanks for the input. Do you have any thoughts on the ASF function in Studio?

DHembree

Joined Sep 10, 2018
The acronym ASF is not familiar to me. Can you refresh my memory?
Advanced Software Framework. Initially I thought it was similar to the MCC tool in MPLAB which provides a nearly graphical approach to configuring various processor functions, but I may have been incorrect.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Advanced Software Framework. Initially I thought it was similar to the MCC tool in MPLAB which provides a nearly graphical approach to configuring various processor functions, but I may have been incorrect.
Never having used it I'm not really in a great position to opine on it. Sorry.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004

Thanks for the input,
Dan
I suggest you visit the Microchip forum and read the posts about AVR development. You could get a feeling of what is going on.

I could tell you about my experience with MPLABX with PIC micros but I suspect I would be of no use to you.

Buena suerte