Astable 555 circuit cuts out seemingly randomly

fedorukben

Joined Oct 13, 2019
Hi,

I am new to circuitry so sorry if this is a dumb question. I just wired up am astable circuit (from part 1 of Ben Eater’s 8-bit computer series). And i am having difficulty because, seemingly randomly, the LED stops blinking. And i have no clue why. If I unplug the Vcc and plug it back in, it blinks once and then stays off. Randomly, it turns back on to blinking.

Thanks.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi,

I am new to circuitry so sorry if this is a dumb question. I just wired up am astable circuit (from part 1 of Ben Eater’s 8-bit computer series). And i am having difficulty because, seemingly randomly, the LED stops blinking. And i have no clue why. If I unplug the Vcc and plug it back in, it blinks once and then stays off. Randomly, it turns back on to blinking.

Thanks.
Your verbal description makes any kind of response just idle speculation. What we need is a schematic diagram of what you intended to build and maybe some information on how you built it. Then we have a fighting chance of telling you where to look for a solution.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Also post a picture of your circuit. If it's on one of those plug-in breadboards, it's not uncommon for connections to be imperfect. If wiggling the wires causes any change in behavior then that also indicates an issue.

Also what voltage is your supply? If you're on the edge of what's required then that can also cause inconsistent behavior.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Well, let me guess. Bertus just beat me to it.

My question is where are C6 and this:

upload_2019-10-13_10-2-50.png
located on your board? How many examples of the circuit shown above do you have installed?

EDIT: Just watched the part 1 video. Eater is using a 7555 (CMOS) version of the 555. Which version are you using?