ASM vs. .asm vs. Assembly vs. Assembler

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yes. For clarity, I shall use this in the future. In fact, I will endeavor to obscure (in a clarifying way, of course) it further.

Should go over well with the noobs.
I didn't say it was very clear or even a logical description of computer programming today to use Assembly Line terminology but early on programmers were seen as just clerical workers or technicians hired to do the repetitive job of cranking out traditional manufacturing products in a traditional automated process.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I didn't say it was very clear or even a logical description of computer programming today to use Assembly Line terminology but early on programmers were seen as just clerical workers or technicians hired to do the repetitive job of cranking out traditional manufacturing products in a traditional automated process.
I am desperately in need of a sarcasm font.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
"Assembly" is a meeting as in United Nations. "Assembler" is a program which assembles the machine code. It uses it's own language - "Language of Assembler" or "Assembler Language".
And assembly is a group of code mnemonics organized together ("meeting") for the processor they are defined for.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Only if you're paranoid. Luddite!
There are Luddites on this board. I could name two extreme examples off the top of my head, but I won't -- they know who they are. I am not one of them.

If my .asm codes could 'meet' of their own accord -- and be intendedly useful -- it would be a welcome development.

Naturally, they could choose to meet for nefarious purposes. This would be a bad thing. We should stick to hand weaving code, just in case.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Only if you're paranoid. Luddite!
Ludd·ite
\ˈlə-ˌdīt\noun
One of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly One who is opposed to especially technological change

Wow... and I had thought this thread was for entertainment only... I actually learned a new word today!
Thanks, Dj!

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
My latest .asm project is now complete. It is a PIC18F65K90 based design. This one is going to be a big winner.

Here are the stats:

13 include (header) files
22 assembler (assembly?) files
9,976 total lines, including comments and white space
13,187 program memory bytes used

Absolute (as opposed to relocatable) build.

Lots and lots of 32/56 bit floating point math (IEEE notation) -- including statistical data analysis, 2nd order polynomial regression, matrices, etc.

Bug free and fast as lightning.

You may now applaud.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
My latest .asm project is now complete. It is a PIC18F65K90 based design. This one is going to be a big winner.

Here are the stats:

13 include (header) files
22 assembler (assembly?) files
9,976 total lines, including comments and white space
13,187 program memory bytes used

Absolute (as opposed to relocatable) build.

Lots and lots of 32/56 bit floating point math (IEEE notation) -- including statistical data analysis, 2nd order polynomial regression, matrices, etc.

Bug free and fast as lightning.

You may now applaud.
Sure... I'll applaud until my hands hurt.... if you tell us what it does or what it's for :D

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Sure... I'll applaud until my hands hurt.... if you tell us what it does or what it's for :D
You have no idea how badly I want to give details.

Someday, I'd like to transition from entrepreneur to professor where I'd pass my .asm coding techniques (and a great deal of other knowledge) to the next generation of engineers. Yes, I do believe there will always be a need for .asm -- even for the next generation.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
... if you tell us what it does or what it's for :D

OK, I'll show off a bit for you. Here is the code that computes the three unknown coefficients of a 2nd order polynomial based upon previously captured data:

Code:
;*******************************************
;** REGRES -- Compute A, B, C for         **
;**           y=A*x^2 + B1*x + C using    **
;**           posted data                 **
;**     Exit: FMEM2=A, FMEM1=B, FMEM0=C   **
;*******************************************

regres    cpfloat    num, mat00    ;fill matrix for D
    cpfloat sx , mat01
    cpfloat    sx2, mat02

cpfloat sx , mat10
    cpfloat sx2, mat11
    cpfloat sx3, mat12

cpfloat sx2, mat20
    cpfloat sx3, mat21
    cpfloat sx4, mat22   

call    determ        ;get D
    popfl    det        ;save as denominator

cpfloat    sy,  mat00    ;fill matrix for Dx
    cpfloat sxy, mat10
    cpfloat    sx2y,mat20

call    determ        ;get Dx
    pushfl    det
    call    divf        ;compute B0
    popsto    0        ;save 'C' coefficient in FMEM0

cpfloat    num, mat00    ;fill matrix for Dy
    cpfloat sx , mat10
    cpfloat    sx2, mat20

cpfloat    sy,  mat01
    cpfloat sxy, mat11
    cpfloat    sx2y,mat21

call    determ        ;get Dy
    pushfl    det
    call    divf        ;compute b1=Dy/D
    popsto    1        ;save 'B' coefficient in FMEM1

cpfloat    sx,  mat01    ;fill matrix for Dz
    cpfloat sx2, mat11
    cpfloat    sx3, mat21

cpfloat    sy,  mat02
    cpfloat sxy, mat12
    cpfloat    sx2y,mat22

call    determ
    pushfl    det
    call    divf        ;compute b2=Dz/D
    popsto    2        ;save 'A' coefficient in FMEM2

return
Dammit! How does one tell BBCODE what the tab size should be?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
You have no idea how badly I want to give details.

Someday, I'd like to transition from entrepreneur to professor where I'd pass my .asm coding techniques (and a great deal of other knowledge) to the next generation of engineers. Yes, I do believe there will always be a need for .asm -- even for the next generation.
I do all my programming in assembly, but only on the 8051 architecture... so far. And yes, since most of my applications are timing-critical (where things must be kept in sync) I haven't even remotely considered using C, or any other language for that matter.
And I know the feeling when one finishes an important and complex project that required a humongous amount of effort, and one is constrained from giving out the details.... kind of frustrating when you can't share your success with your peers.

You're right, there will always be a place for assembly in the market. (assembly, assembler... tomato, potato... whatever :p)

EDIT: here's your applause, by the way Emoji Smiley-122.png

Last edited:

jim829

Joined Aug 2, 2012
I do all my programming in assembly, but only on the 8051 architecture... so far. And yes, since most of my applications are timing-critical (where things must be kept in sync) I haven't even remotely considered using C, or any other language for that matter.
And I know the feeling when one finishes an important and complex project that required a humongous amount of effort, and one is constrained from giving out the details.... kind of frustrating when you can't share your success with your peers.

You're right, there will always be a place for assembly in the market. (assembly, assembler... tomato, potato... whatever :p)

EDIT: here's your applause, by the way View attachment 93245
I programmed professionally for about three years (many years ago). However, higher level languages can still do the job assembly can, even for real-time critical applications. As long as the language has appropriate constructs for accessing devices and such (even accessing program status words and setting/processing interrupts). Modern compilers generate extremely efficient machine code. Besides, its not the high level language that slows things down, its the OS and its overhead.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Modern compilers generate extremely efficient machine code. Besides, its not the high level language that slows things down, its the OS and its overhead.
Mostly true... my only objection is when one has to count the exact number of cycles between instructions and routines to perform certain tasks.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I programmed professionally for about three years (many years ago). However, higher level languages can still do the job assembly can, even for real-time critical applications. As long as the language has appropriate constructs for accessing devices and such (even accessing program status words and setting/processing interrupts). Modern compilers generate extremely efficient machine code. Besides, its not the high level language that slows things down, its the OS and its overhead.
Here we go again! :rolleyes: