ASM to HEX converter tool

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Hi
I am new to micro-controllers and programming them. I learned to program the 16F84 but I can't go to practice what I have learned because I program it in assembly while the programmer software can take a hex or bin file to program the uc... What I need is a tool that can converts asm file to hex file, I knew that each uc has its instructions and therefore there is no difinite converter tool for all ucs, but I need it for PICs and maybe in the tool they ask about the type and name/number of the IC.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Download and install MPlab from the Microchip WEB site. It is free and has all the tools you need to write assembler programs and create hex files suitable for downloading to a PIC programmer.

Dragonblight

Joined Aug 19, 2009
MPlab is definately free, you'll want to download it off the microchip site- you'll find the link on the right of some of their programming device product pages.

Once you have the software, open your .asm and run quickbuild, followed by an export. This puts it into a .hex file you can program in with your favorite programming tool.