ASEA robot

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Looking at driving up to view two ASEA IRB6/2 robots that are surplus, claimed to have been working before being put into storage a few years back. My thoughts were to upgrade the electronic and implement an open source control. Being from the early 80’s, I’m wondering if they have any practical value, if anyone had/had experience with them. A third unit is an IRB1000.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes back in the 80's but have lost all recollection of the system.
If they were working when stored, they may come to life again, they were nice in their day, Some had articulated 'hands'.
The upgrading of the control is not going to be a trivial job!

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Looking at driving up to view two ASEA IRB6/2 robots that are surplus, claimed to have been working before being put into storage a few years back. My thoughts were to upgrade the electronic and implement an open source control. Being from the early 80’s, I’m wondering if they have any practical value, if anyone had/had experience with them. A third unit is an IRB1000.
In terms of "value"
have a look on the 2nd hand robot forums
seems a good few for sale at good prices,

Being all electric, not hydraulic / pneumatic as previous versions,
they have a long life,

mcardoso

Joined May 19, 2020
FWTW I own two used industrial robots that I purchased at surplus for around $400 USD each. They are both made in 1999 and only one came with a control (no cables).

I was able to get them running, but it took a LOT of work. Industrial robots use AC servo motors which are a total headache to run if you don't have the original equipment. That isn't considering the kinematics software either which is a whole different challenge. I spent 3-4 times the original purchase cost to get all the pieces and parts I needed.

With the robot being 23 years old, I had a hard time getting documentation which is absolutely critical to being able to run this stuff. I wouldn't personally want to get one any older. I had to beg the companies for information.

Robot's joints usually contain really high end harmonic or cycloidal gearboxes. These could be used for other projects, but would require custom machined enclosures with bearings since most of these gearboxes don't have integral bearings to conserve space.

image083.jpg

Last edited: