Are solar panels considered a current source?

MikeJacobs

Joined Dec 7, 2019
So As I understand, solar panels although do generate a voltage, when placed under load the voltage collapses

So theoretical are pv panels considered more of a current source?

Thanks

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Well , that's no different from any current source .... put a load on any battery and the voltage will 'collapse ' ...

With solar the voltage collapses rather quicker and the trick is to get the right load to extract most power, this occurs at about 75% open circuit voltage .

EDIT ....Ah..I see it is different from a battery which is modeled as a Voltage source , not a Current source ! What's going on???
1580785197506.png

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A solar cell can be modeled as a (poor) current source with a low (and variable) shunt resistance, as well as a series resistance.
Thus it's current output will be relatively constant with small changes in the load resistance.
I see it is different from a battery which is modeled as a Voltage source , not a Current source ! What's going on?
A battery is modeled as a voltage source since it typically has a constant voltage output with a low series impedance.
The output voltage varies only slightly with different load impedances, but the current varies with the impedance.

A current source has a relatively high output impedance.
The output current thus varies only slightly with different load impedances but the output voltage varies with the load.

TeeKay6

Joined Apr 20, 2019
Can the words 'impedance' in post above be replaced with 'resistance' and still be right ?
The topic is models. Could a model be created using only resistance? Certainly. Could a model be created using elements comprising an impedance? Certainly. Could a resistance be considered as an instance of impedance? Certainly.