Arduino using ethernet for 3D printer Micro SD card

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
So I have a 3D printer that relies on me to place the sliced images onto a micro SD card on my computer and then transfer it onto the micro SD card and place it back into my 3D printer in order for me top call it up to print.

Me being a geek, I would like to know if there is any way I can use the Arduino to transmit the spliced image that would be on the micro SD card using ethernet? Something like Micro SD to ethernet.

I know that the Arduino itself can READ micro SD cards by purchasing a micro SD shield but that's just for reading. And I also know the Arduino itself can be controlled over the network via a ethernet shield.

So the question remains - Is it possible to use the Arduino in order for me to send my sliced file over my network to the micro SD card inside the 3D printer? Perhaps just soldered the micro SD connections themselves inside the 3D printer?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
So I have a 3D printer that relies on me to place the sliced images onto a micro SD card on my computer and then transfer it onto the micro SD card and place it back into my 3D printer in order for me top call it up to print.

Me being a geek, I would like to know if there is any way I can use the Arduino to transmit the spliced image that would be on the micro SD card using ethernet? Something like Micro SD to ethernet.

I know that the Arduino itself can READ micro SD cards by purchasing a micro SD shield but that's just for reading. And I also know the Arduino itself can be controlled over the network via a ethernet shield.

So the question remains - Is it possible to use the Arduino in order for me to send my sliced file over my network to the micro SD card inside the 3D printer? Perhaps just soldered the micro SD connections themselves inside the 3D printer?
The Ethernet 2 shield also includes a micro SD drive. So in one shield, you get all the hardware you need to do this.

BTW, the micro SD shield isn’t just for reading.

Now, just a little bit of code and you’re good to go!

Enjoy

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
It may be possible. The first issue is there are two ways to go about communicating with SD cards. One is through SPI that the Arduino can do easily, the other is SD protocol (I think that is the correct terminology). Unfortunately the SD option is going to cost probably more than the printer itself to get the information needed to even begin to start (membership to the SD Association).

Another issue will be speed and being able to keep enough data transferred to the Arduino ahead of when the printer tries to read it. With SPI transfer there is no way to make the reader wait for data to become available and I'm assuming the SD protocol will have the same problem. The printer will probably send the command to the SD card and immediately start to read. If you don't have the data on hand to send back it may make for some interesting results.

I have no idea how big the file size ends up being, but I'm thinking the Arduino does not have enough on chip RAM to store the whole file so you'll probably need some sort of external memory to keep everything happy.

Long story short it is possible to do, but whether it is something actually worth trying to do is a different story.

Edit...

djsfantasi has a good thought, but you're still down to how the printer actually communicates with the SD card. I didn't think of using the Arduino to store the data on the card.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
It may be possible. The first issue is there are two ways to go about communicating with SD cards. One is through SPI that the Arduino can do easily, the other is SD protocol (I think that is the correct terminology). Unfortunately the SD option is going to cost probably more than the printer itself to get the information needed to even begin to start (membership to the SD Association).

Another issue will be speed and being able to keep enough data transferred to the Arduino ahead of when the printer tries to read it. With SPI transfer there is no way to make the reader wait for data to become available and I'm assuming the SD protocol will have the same problem. The printer will probably send the command to the SD card and immediately start to read. If you don't have the data on hand to send back it may make for some interesting results.

I have no idea how big the file size ends up being, but I'm thinking the Arduino does not have enough on chip RAM to store the whole file so you'll probably need some sort of external memory to keep everything happy.

Long story short it is possible to do, but whether it is something actually worth trying to do is a different story.
Forget about the SPI or joining an association.

Both shields come with libraries. All the low level coding is done for you.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
On my Deltaprintr, I've had a Toshiba "FlashAir" WiFi SD card so all that is needed is to put the card in the printer after you configure it to suit your WiFi network, then find it in your browser and drag the files to it.
That may be worth a look.