Arduino Uno command an optotriacs in a bridge rectifier

Cristian Sae

Joined Mar 21, 2016
I need to know if i can use optotriacs instead of thyristor in the construction of a bridge rectifier which i is commended with an Arduino UNO. I really need help . Thank you!!!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I would think you could, but we need more info.
What is the purpose of using the Triacs in the bridge?
Are you trying to regulate the output voltage using phase control of the Triacs?

mcasale

Joined Jul 18, 2011
Interesting project. If you are switching the triacs at various points in the AC waveform, I would think you'll be generating a lot of high frequency noise - both on the primary side, and possibly radiated too.

Can you post a schematic?

Cristian Sae

Joined Mar 21, 2016
can you tell me if optotriacs can be comannded with arduino? i dont have a schematic . i want to learn if is posible to make a make a rectifier bridge with optotriacs. and after to control with arduino
?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You could use the MOC301X/MOC302X for opto triac.
As said, you can calculate the needed delay from a zerocrossing.
The MCU can only do this when you give it the zerocrossing info.

Bertus

Attachments

mcasale

Joined Jul 18, 2011
Yes, of course anything is possible, but it depends upon your requirements.

For example, if you turn on the triacs at zero-crossing (recommended) then that dictates that your control of the output voltage is only 120Hz (or 100 Hz if in UK). That means that you can only react to load changes at that speed. Therefore, you will need a big filter capacitor. That's why switching power supplies today run at high frequencies.

Can you put together a list of requirements and the kinds of load transients you expect? Then you can do the schematic.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
One word of warning; we used an arduino to control a servo and the servo would hunt a little bit when it should have been perfectly still. The arduino wasn't sending a constant data frame rate to the servo. I'm not sure if the clock wasn't stable, or if there were some interrupts or other processing interrupting it enough to cause the varying output, but this is something to keep in mind if you need your output to be perfectly timed.