Arduino LEDs won't turn on via USB but turns on via external power supply

Gabriel Cruz

Joined Oct 17, 2017
Hi! My arduino is plugged in for 3 hours via power bank until sometime, the arduino did not work anymore. I tried plugging it in the laptop and it still don't work but as I tried applying 9V via external, the lights turn up. What seems to be the problem?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hi! My arduino is plugged in for 3 hours via power bank until sometime, the arduino did not work anymore. I tried plugging it in the laptop and it still don't work but as I tried applying 9V via external, the lights turn up. What seems to be the problem?

So what exactly are you saying? When powering the Arduino board through the USB port is does not power up and work but if you power the board using external DC power ( 9 volts ) the board works? You need to be sure the USB supplied power is actually available?

Ron

Gabriel Cruz

Joined Oct 17, 2017
So what exactly are you saying? When powering the Arduino board through the USB port is does not power up and work but if you power the board using external DC power ( 9 volts ) the board works? You need to be sure the USB supplied power is actually available?

Ron
Yes. I supplied it via powerbank and laptop just to test if my laptop's hub is not working but it still don't work except for the one that I mentioned before, supplying it via the external DC power. I have two boards that have the same problem.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You don't mention which Arduino board. The Arduino Diecimila boards have an onboard jumper to select power from external or USB. Boards like the Arduino Uno Since you mention two boards with the same symptom my guess would be your PC 5 volt power is not present. A Google of Arduino Board Schematics will show how the USB power and External power are configured.

Ron

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that you have somehow blown the USB fuse on the Arduino UNO (and others). I thought that this was re-settable, but maybe you have a clone.

Look at the schematic here.
Find F1, on the left side close to the USB plug.
If you are handy with a multi-meter, you can test this out pretty easily.

Search for replacing this fuse example here.

Edited: Here is a view of F1 on an UNO https://rheingoldheavy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ArduinoUno_Annotated_USB_Connection.png

Gabriel Cruz

Joined Oct 17, 2017
I'll try troubleshooting it later. Just like Raymond said, I think I might blown the fuse on the board. I plugged it for about 3-4 hours, maybe that made the fuse blow but I tried searching for answers here and some says that the board could be powered 24/7 although I'm not sure if there's a specific power supply that should be used in order to power it for a long time.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My guess, and it is only a guess, is that you have somehow blown the USB fuse on the Arduino UNO (and others). I thought that this was re-settable, but maybe you have a clone.

Look at the schematic here.
Find F1, on the left side close to the USB plug.
If you are handy with a multi-meter, you can test this out pretty easily.

Search for replacing this fuse example here.

Edited: Here is a view of F1 on an UNO https://rheingoldheavy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ArduinoUno_Annotated_USB_Connection.png
Thanks Raymond for the good schematic. I never caught the fuse.

Ron

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
First "do not use Arduino !!!", second test the cable to see if its working, or use a shorter cable. Check the connections of the USB connector on the board to see of the voltage actually gets there.