Arduino based lap counter

maurouhle

Joined Dec 30, 2016
How can I trigger an Arduino lap counter on a public track that would count only my laps. I may attach the Arduino with a Hall-Effect sensor to the side of the track and I would carry a small magnet maybe attached to the arm closest to the sensor. I don't want to carry a super magnet of course, it may affect other pedestrians.
Thank you

maurouhle

Joined Dec 30, 2016
What kind of track? A running track? Just use a smart phone.
I want to count lap time precisely and monitor improvement. I am already using a smartphone and sometimes I miss the trigger point as I need to switch between screens constantly. I listen to radio and read messages. There are 4 oval tracks in the club. The center line is 0.1 mile, the one I use to make computing easier but, it is 2 - 3 feet from the walls where I can hang the sensor.

sample.png

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Can you devise a reflective patch for your waist, leg, torso or ankle? Perhaps then you can place a box with a laser and sensor on the track edge. Since I doubt anyone else will have reflective ankles, the Arduino can detect reflections from the laser.

Or perhaps you could interface the Arduino via USB to a long distance (3-10m) RFID card reader and carry an RFID tag on your person. Here’s one possibility, but this approach would require some programming to interpret the serial data on the Arduino.
RONSHIN USB RFID ID EM Proximity Card Reader 125Khz for Access Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M5CLQKD/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_q4OnCbYK0J24R

Also, I’d add a shield with an SD card slot or SD card add-on to log your lap data. As far as timing goes, I’d also add a real-time clock for accurate timings.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I want to count lap time precisely and monitor improvement. I am already using a smartphone and sometimes I miss the trigger point as I need to switch between screens constantly. I listen to radio and read messages. There are 4 oval tracks in the club.
Then I'd carry the Arduino and press a button at the appropriate time.

Be careful you don't run in to anyone while you're reading. I hated it when I used to get whacked in the face by people who were trying to talk on their phones while they were walking. They couldn't even walk in a straight line while talking; can't imagine the hazard they would have posed if they weren't watching where they were going...

maurouhle

Joined Dec 30, 2016
Can you devise a reflective patch for your waist, leg, torso or ankle? Perhaps then you can place a box with a laser and sensor on the track edge. Since I doubt anyone else will have reflective ankles, the Arduino can detect reflections from the laser.

Or perhaps you could interface the Arduino via USB to a long distance (3-10m) RFID card reader and carry an RFID tag on your person. Here’s one possibility, but this approach would require some programming to interpret the serial data on the Arduino.
RONSHIN USB RFID ID EM Proximity Card Reader 125Khz for Access Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M5CLQKD/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_q4OnCbYK0J24R

Also, I’d add a shield with an SD card slot or SD card add-on to log your lap data. As far as timing goes, I’d also add a real-time clock for accurate timings.
The reflecting mirror could be on the side of my sneaker and maybe infrared so no one could be laser tagged. Thanks

maurouhle

Joined Dec 30, 2016
Then I'd carry the Arduino and press a button at the appropriate time.

Be careful you don't run in to anyone while you're reading. I hated it when I used to get whacked in the face by people who were trying to talk on their phones while they were walking. They couldn't even walk in a straight line while talking; can't imagine the hazard they would have posed if they weren't watching where they were going...
I am using the stopwatch on my cell but, I get distracted fervently, either other people wandering or going the wrong way. Sometimes I pay to much attention to the radio, there are great radio shows on PBS. This is why I am trying to automate. Thanks

maurouhle

Joined Dec 30, 2016

The RFID is another good idea, I found several projects, will look into this one, with a larger antenna:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Tutorials-RFID/

Thanks

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Some thoughts -

1) Tone burst as you go by. Use a passive whistle on runner, like deer whistle on cars.
2) Previously discussed, various optical approaches.
3) Contact mat, a particular way that only you step on it or a small matrix of them.

https://simplifaster.com/articles/buyers-guide-contact-mats-contact-grids/

4) High bright led strobe pulse, look at reflection. Measure its PW as a discriminator
to prevent false triggering.

Infrared might be a challenge in bright sunlight.

5) Color sensor on Arduino, color emitter on runner. Rohm.

Regards, Dana.

maurouhle

Joined Dec 30, 2016
Some thoughts -

1) Tone burst as you go by. Use a passive whistle on runner, like deer whistle on cars.
2) Previously discussed, various optical approaches.
3) Contact mat, a particular way that only you step on it or a small matrix of them.

https://simplifaster.com/articles/buyers-guide-contact-mats-contact-grids/

4) High bright led strobe pulse, look at reflection. Measure its PW as a discriminator
to prevent false triggering.

Infrared might be a challenge in bright sunlight.

5) Color sensor on Arduino, color emitter on runner. Rohm.

Regards, Dana.
The tone option is also interesting, something above the normal hearing upper end. I used this idea, years ago, on an open real deck, tracks 2 and 4, to turn lights and mechanical effects, synchronized with music on tracks 1 and 3.
Thanks