Arbitrary closing of threads.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The thread deteriorated into a squabble over who was right between two very qualified gentlemen. This was not helpful to the TS nor to the benefit of AAC.

I was not involved in the closing of the thread but believe it should have happened a lot sooner.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Usually when a thread is locked, the mod that locked it puts an ending post giving the reason. That wasn't done in this case, but the reason is pretty clear -- two participants with strong opinions on something only peripherally related to the TS's topic could not let it go. The TS has numerous threads (too many, really) that are all arguably the same subject, so their continuing needs can be met in those threads. An alternative, perhaps the better alternative, would have been to ban the members involved in the squabble from further participation in that particular thread.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If the thread was no longer useful to the TS, then perhaps we can continue the discussion in a new thread started by one of us with a stake in the argument. At least it won't get closed for that particular reason again.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If the thread was no longer useful to the TS, then perhaps we can continue the discussion in a new thread started by one of us with a stake in the argument. At least it won't get closed for that particular reason again.
As long as the bickering remains civil, there should be no reason to close it.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Well, it’s a rat hole we’ve been down too many times and not helpful to the TS.
Then I suppose we would just let the TS wonder what was meant when it was stated that a BJT is a voltage operated device.
I considered that a hand-grenade lobbed into the discussion, and thought it needed to be answered. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Really? Is a BJT a voltage operated device or a current operated device? You got me there. Any argument one way or the other serves no purpose on AAC. That is why any discussion on the matter ought to be terminated instantly.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Really? Is a BJT a voltage operated device or a current operated device? You got me there. Any argument one way or the other serves no purpose on AAC. That is why any discussion on the matter ought to be terminated instantly.
Seemed more like debate and discourse to me. The whole reason for the design of public forums in Ancient Greece enlightenment through debate and discussion.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
One person argues that a BJT is a voltage operated device.
The other argues that it is a current operated device.
What happens if they are both correct? End of argument.
What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
One person argues that a BJT is a voltage operated device.
What happens if they are both correct? End of argument.
What comes first, the chicken or the egg?
Let them discuss, maybe we can all learn or teach - if the argument is interrupted, then either one person stays ignorant or the rest of us miss an opportunity to learn something from the person we thought was ignorant. Nobody was rude and nobody was claiming over unity results.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That was not my complete argument.
You are cherry picking the discussion to make it sound trivial (or didn't you really read all of it?)
Any argument one way or the other serves no purpose on AAC
Really?
You'll have to explain the reasoning for that odd statement to me.

I believes it serves the purpose of educating the neophyte on the operation of the BJT, that for certain circuits function it works better to consider it a current-operated device and for other functions it's better to consider it a voltage-operated device.
It's sort of a Quantum paradox. ;)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My $0.02, mostly as a member and not a mod, is that the discussion of topics like that is fine as far as that goes. If that is the topic of the thread, then it can go on for as long as it does with each side trying to convince the other side of their opinion. The discussion can help others form their own views on the topic and I would see no reason to close the thread as long as the discussion remains civil. However, if a thread on another topic gets diverted, even if the initial diversion was germane to the topic in some way, then it runs the risk of sending that thread down a rabbit hole that very quickly loses the ability to move the original topic of the thread along. That's when it becomes a problem and some kind of action is appropriate. There are several possible actions that can be considered and which one is deemed most appropriate depends on both the specifics of the case and the assessment of the moderator who decides that action might be needed. That moderator may take action unilaterally, or they may bring it up for discussion with the rest of the moderation staff to see if a consensus can be reached.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi,
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/using-npn-2n3904-as-switch.190730/post-1782761

We can assure that the closing of this particular thread was not an Arbitary moderation action.

Over the past few months, a number of Threads have been ‘diverted’ away from the TS original query by certain members, who for whatever reason want to continue arguing their point regarding transistor biasing.

In an attempt to stop these unresolved arguments on TS’s threads, it was proposed that one of the contestants should create a thread with this transistor biasing point as the topic.
This was done early in November this year, after about 43 posts the thread just petered out, unresolved.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...an-npn-bipolar-transistor.190045/post-1775604

In the latest thread, containing 43 posts, that has now been closed, I posted at #30, that it was unfair that the thread was effectively being hi-jacked to discuss the same transistor biasing.

I thought that the Thread maybe brought back on track by this posting, but after a further 15 argumentative posts on the same subject, it failed to do so, the thread was then closed.

Moderation

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Okay.
But it will be difficult to ignore those pedantic (person) grenades thrown into an otherwise simple discussion. ;)

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
I am not a fan of any kind of censorship, but if I look at this from the perspective of a newbie looking to learn something, watching the question I asked decay into an arcane battle between "experts" would be extremely disheartening.

Empathy and objectivity is required.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Most people, most of the time, just enjoy being able to help others.
But sometimes,
when a person feels like their attempt at helping has been "invalidated" somehow,
they may forget about who they are supposed to be helping,
and then go on a campaign of proving the supposed "invalidator" wrong.

This unfortunately happens far too often in Life.

A persons Ego is his worst enemy,
and everybody's got an Ego that has to be contended with, and kept in check.