Application of Google

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Several other countries are putting up their own versions to eliminate their vulnerability. As far as I know, a lot of countries still lean on the US system.

If there is ever a hot war you can bet they will be targets. This why the US military has also set up a second system.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I hope I didn't come across as sounding unpatriotic, I wasn't aware of the history of GPS.
You didn't, and neither did RK.

RK just wasn't aware of who was the driving force for the navigation system called GPS. It wasn't market driven, although the market had driven it right to the consumers.

It's still in the defense domain and can be manipulated as they desire.

Can you imagine the uproar if the world placed a surcharge of 1 penny per month on all cellular phones to pay for the GPS system? That has the potential of being 72 billion per year, which would easily pay for the GPS and GLONASS systems where it could be taken out of the defense domain of the two owners.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Though I don't know if the DoD would be willing to give up ownership and control of it (not that they would have a choice if Congress mandated it, of course). Having said that, the reason that Clinton's decision to turn off Selective Availability permanently wasn't challenged (and probably why the recommendation was even made to him in the first place) was that it was acknowledged that GPS technology was at the breakout point commercially and that means of using the degraded system had improved sufficiently for weapons delivery so that there really wasn't much military advantage to being able to impost Selective Availability on commercial users.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Wendy,

Are you talking C-SCAN or the "Quantum Compass" from our cousins across the pond?

There have been replacement satellites to replace the other aging satellites. That's been part of the mix since day 1.

Jamming GPS has been a known issue since the early 1990s. A student at DELFT university of technology described it over a couple of brews one night in Williamsburg VA.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
USA Made GPS available to the whole world for free, they spent billions of dollars on it and they get nothing in return for doing so.They can do whatever they want with it. EMR doesn't kill insects.
If EMR doesn't kill insects, then after all the rain in San Francisco, there's going to be a bumper crop of mosquitos. o_O

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
not sure, don't have the sources at my fingertips. Over the years I've read that the EU (I believe France) had their own system they were putting up. Ditto the Russians.

Once it was pointed out and established, the advantages are just too significant to ignore, both military and commercial.

I could look it up if it were required, just like everyone else.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
India has already launched a couple of satellites under the IRNSS project which are operational. I don't know of any Mobile Manufacturer who has plans to include this project under the GPS.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
A couple of satellites won't provide worldwide navigation. GPS was designed with 24 satellites in mind plus 4 spares to provide worldwide coverage.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
All of you guys have shown remarkable restraint here. Thank you.
RK helped! He mostly stayed on topic in this one.:)

That post about making India the best it can be kind of puts a stop to his plans to be hired by NASA, but it didn't crash the Thread.:)