Apple their so funnny!

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I eat my salads only with olive oil. Cold pressed, virgin. Most of what I can buy is from Italy. But there is a shop that sells 5L (I think) huge tanks of it that are greek, I just do not need that much oil ;)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
A quick tip for those that might not know it: Keep your olive oil in a shady, cool place but not refrigerated.
The heat can make it pick up an unpleasant odor.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Well, the thing is, that would take a huge marketing campaign towards the west. How easily do you believe you would change your culinary habits. Because for an olive oil export to make sense, I think that we need to talk big.
Not really cause 90% of Americans think their olive oil comes from greece.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Not really cause 90% of Americans think their olive oil comes from greece.
I must be in the 10 percent. I think of Italy when I think of olive oil. Maybe I'm prejudiced because of the two years I was assigned in Southern Italy near the town of Catanzaro Lido.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I must be in the 10 percent. I think of Italy when I think of olive oil. Maybe I'm prejudiced because of the two years I was assigned in Southern Italy near the town of Catanzaro Lido.
Nah some people think that cause all the mob movies and shows use olive oil in their plots. Like Soprano's, The Godfather, etc...

Geo- You were saying you'd have to market your olive oil here in the west and that would be a large task. I don't think it would be a large task because we already think we get it from Greece or Italy.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Yes, but

1. Do you actually use it in quantities worth exporting?

and

2. There is no infrastructure for exporting it right now, nor it will be in the near future.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Yes, but

1. Do you actually use it in quantities worth exporting?

and

2. There is no infrastructure for exporting it right now, nor it will be in the near future.
1 Yes easily.
2. Not sure. Is greece so behind the times you don't have railways, ports, and cargo ships?

I really don't know much about greece thens on the news here. All we hear is greece in on brink of collapse and about to leave the EURO. Then they say that will start a chain reaction with Spain and other EU countries following.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Shortbus,you and Olive Oil would make a good pair...just look at you two

or find her for a side by side...show the guys your stuff.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I really don't know much about greece thens on the news here. All we hear is greece in on brink of collapse and about to leave the EURO. Then they say that will start a chain reaction with Spain and other EU countries following.
<joke>
I heard that Germany was going to leave the Euro, then they wouldn't have to bail out all the failing countries.
</joke>

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
1 Yes easily.
2. Not sure. Is greece so behind the times you don't have railways, ports, and cargo ships?

I have read somewhere that for an entrepreneur to export a product to Italy (inside Sengen) it takes 20 different forms. Imagine the paperwork to reach the US.

Export laws need to become more productive but I don't think they will change any time soon. The parliament is too busy signing funding agreements.