Netflix no longer supported on Apple TV’s

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Older Apple TV boxes no longer support subscription in the Apple Store. Netflix for them will work if purchased in Netflix site. After that believe or not now I can see it on my TV and Ipad both.

Amazon no longer support apple tv either, which is stupid as well, their claim is similar no matter what only plays on my Ipad.

kv

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I’m confused.

The Netflix app for tvOS is still available, and supports versions 16.1 and greater.
Amazon Prime Video for tvOS is still available, and supports versions 14.1 and greater.

What isn’t available is using your Apple account to pay for your Netflix subscription. This is because all Apple App Store sales require a 30% (dropping to 15%) commission to be paid to Apple, and obviously Netflix (and Amazon) don’t want that hit.

The subscription has to be paid directly now, and some people are going to see a ~50% increase in the monthly cost of Netflix because the app store subscriptions were mostly kept at $9.99.

You can still use any Apple TV that can run tvOS > version 16 to view Netflix, you just can‘t pay through your Apple account.

What am I missing?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Yes thats it. Now that I have a refund for which apple allows me to pay. So, got my refund for the 2 box setup at $15.49, no single box at $9.99 available. Only available on netflix site.

This is all new as of Feb 4th for me.

kv

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Yes thats it. Now that I have a refund for which apple allows me to pay. So, got my refund for the 2 box setup at $15.49, no single box at $9.99 available. Only available on netflix site.

This is all new as of Feb 4th for me.

kv
It’s probably mostly Apple’s fault for demanding such a large commission on sales. If they’d been collecting a small tax on sales—say 5%, for example—it’s unlikely Netflix would have seen it as profitable to go through the trouble of making the transition.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a big fan of the Apple ecosystem but some things they seem to smack of a kind of corporate arrogance—not a good look.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It’s probably mostly Apple’s fault for demanding such a large commission on sales. If they’d been collecting a small tax on sales—say 5%, for example—it’s unlikely Netflix would have seen it as profitable to go through the trouble of making the transition.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a big fan of the Apple ecosystem but some things they seem to smack of a kind of corporate arrogance—not a good look.
I have to admit that I too admire the way Apple seamlessly integrates all of its apps into one big harmonious orchestra ,... but I also intensely dislike it because it's nothing more than a gilded cage.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have to admit that I too admire the way Apple seamlessly integrates all of its apps into one big harmonious orchestra ,... but I also intensely dislike it because it's nothing more than a gilded cage.
I have a hard time sympathizing with that take. I do not find myself captive to anything where the benefit doesn’t far outweigh any downside it may bring. On the other hand, I don’t find much that I would want to do but can’t. It is very rare I find something I want or need to do and not be able to do it.

So, in theory I don’t like some of the proprietary aspects of the Apple ecosystem, in practice, though, I don’t find myself harmed by it.