Anyone with a hobby mini-lathe here ?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Back to posting without thinking I see. :oops:

Never occur to you that just maybe I am not at home or maybe haven't been most of the week and or that just maybe my lathe might not have been anywhere within reasonable traveling distance either? :rolleyes:
Tell us about this...
I also haven't considered that you don't even have a lathe.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
You don't rank high enough on my social list to warrant a play by play account of my life.

I was unexpectedly busy and had to travel for a few days. That's all you need to know whether you care to believe it or not.

Life happens.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You don't rank high enough on my social list to warrant a play by play account of my life.

I was unexpectedly busy and had to travel for a few days. That's all you need to know whether you care to believe it or not.

Life happens.
So, it sounds like you are home today. I'm sorry you won't be available to post long senseless rants today since you will be busy in front of your lathe, knocking out your commitment.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Jeez! Based on the topics deemed worthy of a full forum page of argument I would have wagered you two are married. Since I know better I must assume you enjoy argument as much or more than electronics.

I would offer my help, but I would need a week just to clear a path to that side of my work room and get out my lathe tooling. :)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
So, it sounds like you are home today. I'm sorry you won't be available to post long senseless rants today since you will be busy in front of your lathe, knocking out your commitment.
How do you figure that? Hotels, and airports have public access Wifi, so do all my friends and family and I take my laptop everywhere. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I've been away from home off and on almost 6 weeks since mid December and no one here knew of it.

So what makes you so sure my last post this morning didn't come from some point hundreds of miles away from where this one is? And what says the last one did not come from the Las Vegas airport? :oops:

Las Vagas Airport 2017.JPG

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Jeez! Based on the topics deemed worthy of a full forum page of argument I would have wagered you two are married. Since I know better I must assume you enjoy argument as much or more than electronics.
He makes a lot of dumb assumptions without checking facts or considering other possible options may be in play than then he imagines which most often lead to his saying stupid things, that basic sense would have prevented most people from saying, followed by getting all butt hurt when someone like me points it out.

Plus apparently figures the best way to redeem himself in the eyes of everyone, who already knows he says stupid things without thinking all the time by trying to make me look dumb, usually based on one or more of his own misunderstandings of something likely simple, even though it more often than not just makes him look worse for his own actions and so on. :oops:

I don't need to do anything to make him look stupid. He does it more than adequately on his own. I Just draw attention to it and that pisses him off. :D

That's the ongoing problem we have. :(

This whole page of debate was totally avoidable if he had only put a half wits level of thought and self control out on his own behalf right from the beginning. :oops:

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
..Are we in Room 12 -Abuse?
Or is this 12a - Argument.?
Max.o_O
I'm pretty sure it's either "Make an ass out of yourself over nothing." Room 1A :rolleyes:
Or "Basic sense be damned. I gotta run my mouth." Room 1B which shares a collapsible partition wall with Room 1A so if needed they can be tied together.:oops:

And yes, I am in fact home now (at least for a few days until who knows what might come along.) ;)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
If you drag your feet any longer, the project won't be done in time for his daughters birthday!
My $50 option isn't looking too bad now, is it? I would have shipped it the same day.
Tell you what gopher, I'll hot wire my lathe and make the part for $25, send it to you and you can sell it for the $50. That way we both make out good, and joey will be happy because we followed the Ayn Rand principle. Deal?

:):cool::p:D:rolleyes:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Tell you what gopher, I'll hot wire my lathe and make the part for $25, send it to you and you can sell it for the $50. That way we both make out good, and joey will be happy because we followed the Ayn Rand principle. Deal?

:):cool::p:D:rolleyes:
That is what I don't understand. These guys preach Ayn Rand until someone tries to implement and thy suddenly get crabby. They interrupt commerce but then never deliver because free isn't with their time (no kidding).

Now, let's see if he spent his day making a part or sleeping in his couch and claiming he was in an over-the-weekend-business trip. The drama is more than I can take sometimes. This reminds me of Orange County Choppers...

Narrator...
- the bike is almost done but they are waiting on one stepped-down axle that has to be shipped in from North Dakota. They won't be able to deliver on time if the part doesn't show up. Junior got someone to make the part for free but Sr is on his tail because no delivery date was negotiated. Now let's listen in... "Jr, you dumb s.o.b., what kind of deal is this if we have to ship the bike late?"​

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Gentlemen: This is to notify and publicly thank the outstanding collaboration from tcmtech and Bernard; who successfully made and sent SIX shafts to specifications plus other goodies in the mail, demonstrating the lead spirit of generosity, true fellowship and confraternity of this group, in an action that did not remain in only words.

---->

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Gentlemen: This is to notify and publicly thank the outstanding collaboration from tcmtech and Bernard; who successfully made and sent SIX shafts to specifications plus other goodies in the mail, demonstrating the lead spirit of generosity, true fellowship and confraternity of this group, in an action that did not remain in only words.

---->
well... wutch ya' gunna do wiff it?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
The shaft is to keep this saw centered instead/in place of its drill bit
Holesaw.jpg
while carving a gland like this
SCBAtoSCUBA.png

to add an o-ring in this valve that has a 7mm center hole :
O2valve.jpg

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The shaft is to keep this saw centered instead/in place of its drill bit
Well then you and I will be old and grey before that pair of them I made from the old diesel engine head bolt ever wear out. :p

I made a quick center punch out of the remaining bolt I cut yours from and it took a pretty good beating before rounding off its point. It's not hardened tool steel tough but it's well enough above the mild steel I needed to put some punch point marks in. :cool:

Kind of has me wondering what a proper heat treat and quench might do to it. Especially since single use driving punches are a commonly used item of mine. I hate when I snap a good one off due to a bad hammer swing or a stuck whatever it is I am driving out letting go unexpectedly so repurposing old scrap higher grade bolt to use as disposable punches solves that problem. ;)