Anyone tell me what and where I can get this connector please?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Probs, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Probs

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Hi there,

I did a bit of a search before posting but no joy unfortunatly. I was someone could help by telling me what this connector is called and where I can get it. To me it looks like what I would describe as a 20 pin female DIN plug. It is attached to a McIntosh car head unit and connects to a McIntosh amp. I am trying to purchase this connector so I can connect a standard head unit without having to chop the original and re-wire it just in case I'd like to put the original head unit back in at some point.

IMG_20161227_195051190.jpg

Non of the usual car audio sources know about it, I don't seem to be able to find it for sale anywhere else but Alibaba and some of the other wholesalers (And even then I can only find it as a PCB mount component)

Any hel/alternatives you guys could offer would be appreciated. Thanks,

Probs

2. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
  3. Probs

Dec 28, 2016
    Hi Eric

I've tried those but nothing seems to match the key on the side. The key looks like a DIN style key rather than a mil or IP type connector.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Probs

4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    What make/model car is this connector connected to?

5. Probs

Dec 28, 2016
    Hi, It's a Subaru Legacy 2004 BP5 JDM import. It's a McIntosh/Clarion factory stereo.

6. AnalogKid

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 1, 2013
    Proprietary version of a standard product, probably not available to standard distribution channels. A car audio dealer might be able to tell you if it is an industry standard or something private to McIntosh. Also, contact the big mac directly.

ak

7. Probs

Dec 28, 2016
    Hi AnalogKid. That was my worry. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Looks like a standard component which is irritating. Really didn't want to cut the factory pig tails.

8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Check the aftermarket head unit suppliers in the country where it was originally sold new.

Those guys need to sell the adapters in order to sell their radios.

9. Probs

Dec 28, 2016
    Hi GopherT, It's a JDM market car and is now 12 years old which is making that search a little tricky. Still looking but no joy yet. I wanna know where they get these weird connectors from :)

10. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012