Anyone remember the Johnson Smith mail order catalog?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Max's bolt post made me think about the Johnson Smith catalog? Magic tricks, fake vomit, whoopie cushions, smoking monkeys....

I used to love these catalogs as a kid. Did anyone used to get these catalogs?

I can't believe the company is still in business.

http://www.johnsonsmith.com/

I don't believe I've ever seen one of those catalogs. It must be the one that comedians always reference when they talk about buying Sea Monkeys via a mail order catalog.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I remember, but never had one. We did have a super 8 projector; why I don't know because I never remember filming any Super 8 movies. How about the Kenner Give-a-Show Projector?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Growing up in the UK I used to get newspapers from some of the US servicemen who were serving in Europe at the time, and wished I could send for some of the neat items in the ads.
But I do remember well the American comics, Mutt & Jeff, Kazenjammer Kids, Lil-Abner, Dick Tracy et-al.
Max.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Probably the originators of the Mutt & Jeff cartoon strip never realized that one day the strip title would become part of Cockney rhyming slang.
There, to say someone is Mutt and Jeff is to imply they are Deaf!.
Max.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I always wanted one of these. Over 7 feet long and only $6.98! Fires missiles, torpedos, has a periscope! What a deal!

upload_2017-4-30_18-7-32.png

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I got one of those when I was a kid. We were poor. I begged and whined like never before. And my mother kept telling me that it wasn't what I thought it was. I whined and whined, she scraped up $6.98 and ordered it. It was the longest six weeks ever. Well.....it finally arrived......and it was a few pieces of cardboard.....that you bend and tape together. I was broken hearted. I think I was 5 or 6.

We didn't un-pack.....sent it right back.

But from then on.........every time I get to flappen.........mom only had to say submarine to shut me up.

To this day.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I got one of those when I was a kid. We were poor. I begged and whined like never before. And my mother kept telling me that it wasn't what I thought it was. I whined and whined, she scraped up $6.98 and ordered it. It was the longest six weeks ever. Well.....it finally arrived......and it was a few pieces of cardboard.....that you bend and tape together. I was broken hearted. I think I was 5 or 6.

We didn't un-pack.....sent it right back.

But from then on.........every time I get to flappen.........mom only had to say submarine to shut me up.

To this day.

Surprised it actually came with anything beside plans. I ordered life size robot once. All that came was plans for a robot. It was a magic trick. The thorax was a box with a couple of doors and a couple of mirrors. You opened the door and the mirrors where supposed to make it look like the box was empty when in reality there was a person inside.

dcosmo

Joined Mar 22, 2019
I used to buy things from the back of comic books. I believed all of that magical stuff as a kid, and there was one item I wanted to ask you if you remember. It was a tablet you put in the ashtray while people were smoking and it supposedly made it snow in the room. Do you recall this item?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
What I wanted to order so badly was one of the military surplus Jeeps they were selling for $12.95 that were packed in Cosmoline in crates! What a deal!

Of course, I had no clue what shipping would cost, or were they new never used, or completely worn out, or a cardboard cutout of a Jeep!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What I wanted to order so badly was one of the military surplus Jeeps they were selling for $12.95 that were packed in Cosmoline in crates! What a deal!

Of course, I had no clue what shipping would cost, or were they new never used, or completely worn out, or a cardboard cutout of a Jeep!

What was the surplus auto parts catalog where they would also sell a jeep kit?

Name escapes me.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Did you mean J.C. Whitney? They're still around, after multiple bankruptcies through the years. There was also a Polish auto parts catalog that was practically identical to J. C. Whitney's catalog, but their name escapes me. J. C. Whitney is still around and has a website.

I discovered what I was thinking of had advertisements placed in Boy's Life and Popular Mechanics, and while it looked like you could get a jeep, it was a how-to scam -- info on buying Gov't surplus that the Government would provide to you for no cost!

Here is an interesting article with photos of an actual jeep in a crate, Jeeps being built, crated, and a vast Jeep graveyard in Okinawa:
https://m.warhistoryonline.com/featured/jeep-in-a-crate.html

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Did you mean J.C. Whitney? They're still around, after multiple bankruptcies through the years. There was also a Polish auto parts catalog that was practically identical to J. C. Whitney's catalog, but their name escapes me. J. C. Whitney is still around and has a website.

I discovered what I was thinking of had advertisements placed in Boy's Life and Popular Mechanics, and while it looked like you could get a jeep, it was a how-to scam -- info on buying Gov't surplus that the Government would provide to you for no cost!

Here is an interesting article with photos of an actual jeep in a crate, Jeeps being built, crated, and a vast Jeep graveyard in Okinawa:
https://m.warhistoryonline.com/featured/jeep-in-a-crate.html

Yes! That is exactly it. You have a great memory. ;)