Anyone Know the Intel CPU line really well

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Hello,

I have a cheap little desktop that I basically made for abuse and work. Playing with crypt o currencies other nonce - sense, pun intended, like that. I may actually throw a software driven oscilloscope on it once get her going again. Came in a kit from new egg with the below mother board. I am trying to get as many cores on it for the lowest dollar as the little duo core in it now just is not very good. However, I don't see any processors with this compatibility list that have more the 4 cores and I really don't want to go threw each one looking for the one six core option. Any trained eyes out there that know better than me. I usually AMD it to be honest just so much cheaper.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-VD-PLUS-#support-cpu

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
apparently not huh. I wonder why the supported list dose not support the 6 core processors of the same generation. Is there anyone here can give me a explanation of the why this may be electronically. Or dose this look like a software limitation would a bios change perhaps get me where I am going.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
apparently not huh. I wonder why the supported list dose not support the 6 core processors of the same generation. Is there anyone here can give me a explanation of the why this may be electronically. Or dose this look like a software limitation would a bios change perhaps get me where I am going.
Check the bios updates. See if they added support for more cpu later.
It is very possible that the list of supported cpu is the original list and was never updated.
On the other hand, it is possible that this is a "throw away" product, they released it, made their money on it and never bothered to invest money to improve it/support it.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
That confirms my suspicion that it may just be a software thing. It dose not make sense from a design perspective that the same socket could not support the same gen CPU. Like you said did they update it?

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
So in the dive on this they say update 1.4 to in their words " - Supported next generation new Intel CPU." what that means is not even in the text file for that bios update. :mad::mad::mad:

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
So in the dive on this they say update 1.4 to in their words " - Supported next generation new Intel CPU." what that means is not even in the text file for that bios update. :mad::mad::mad:
You could email product support and ask for details.
At this point I would ask/search at the manufacturer's forums and see what experiments people have done.
Or you can do your own experiment. Update to the latest bios, get the cheapest cpu from the your list, and see if it will work. Post it on the their forum to inform the community that they are not limited to the list on the website.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
You could email product support and ask for details.
At this point I would ask/search at the manufacturer's forums and see what experiments people have done.
Or you can do your own experiment. Update to the latest bios, get the cheapest cpu from the your list, and see if it will work. Post it on the their forum to inform the community that they are not limited to the list on the website.
Sounds like that is how it is going to go.

As far as running experiments the budget is full on those at this time. This little build is for an experiment in the first place it just gets to a point where you will never get to the original point.

Last edited: