Anyone have access to Mexican Coke?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,820
Supposedly (so I'm told) new Coke was to hide the transition to Corn Syrup. Before new coke the classic coke used sugar, after they "reluctantly" returned to classic coke it used corn syrup. With the game you weren't supposed to be able to tell the difference.
 

Thread Starter

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
816
Really Bill? I thought they used Corn Syrup way before the New Coke debacle. I know it lost its medicine status and they removed the cocaine from it in like 1903 or close to there.
 

Thread Starter

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
816
The switch happened in 1985 and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the New Coke. Said many countries were already using it because of availability and cost. But 1985 was the final decision and coke started using it as their main sweetener and now cane suger is used in countries where its available. Also their was a huge spike in diabetes at the same time that many Dr.s believe was because of the switch from cane to syrup. Thats what my lil bit of digging discovered.
 

osx-addict

Joined Feb 9, 2012
122
I used to drink Jolt cola back in the late 80's when I was working odd hours.. I liked it at the time.. We've got various places near where I live that sell the coke in glass bottles that were bottled in Mexico (they have stickers on them frequently IIRC indicating where they were mfg'd).. Never tried them though.. I figured it was only because it was in bottles not plastic.. We've got lots of mexican markets nearby (Northgate, etc) that carry that as I recall besides various 'real' mexican food places (the little mom-n-pop type places) -- easy to distinguish because the local hispanic workers frequent them besides the locals that know good mexican food beyond the crappy Americanized stuff -- sorry if I'm stereotyping.
 

Thread Starter

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
816
I know walgreens here is hosting a new complete line of suger cane soda's. Their actually really good. Better then coke but had no coke flavors. Just cream soda, rootbeer, strawberry, gingerale, and my favorite Grape! etc..
 

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
10,049
K-Mart here has the Jones cane sugar sodas. Grape is my favorite too.

On a different note, but related, what parts of the country call soda "pop"? Around here pop is used more than soda. But my oldest son who now lives in Georgia, now calls it soda.
 

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
1,305
K-Mart here has the Jones cane sugar sodas. Grape is my favorite too.

On a different note, but related, what parts of the country call soda "pop"? Around here pop is used more than soda. But my oldest son who now lives in Georgia, now calls it soda.
Around here it's a "cold drink".
 

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
46
Both "soda" and "pop" are used here in the midwest. I have noticed over years of being around teenagers that Pepsi drinkers usually call it "pop" and Coke drinkers "soda". In line with that, I drank Pepsi as a child and called it pop. As an adult I have drank Coke and referred to it as soda. RC is also drank here (there's a local bottling plant) and it is called "cola".
 

#12

Joined Nov 30, 2010
18,224
My neice in south central Kentucky says, "What flavor of Coke do you want?" Not, "soda", not, "pop". Every canned drink is a Coke, just in different flavors, like orange, 7-up, or Yoo-hoo (vaguely similar to chocolate milk).

Seriously wrong use of a trademarked word, but it works for her locale.
 

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
10,049
Yoo-hoo is another favorite. Back in the day, there was yoo-hoo, black cow and chocolate soldier, all about the same. When a kid we mixed coke and chocolate milk 50:50, that was good. :)
 

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
10,007
We got coke. Mexican, Cuban, American or Spanish, I do not see any difference but Pepsi is kinda better

& Red bull Gives u wings. So do u know when I drink red bull ?
 
Top