Anyone buy from Aliexpress?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by shortbus, Jun 2, 2017.

1. shortbus

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Has anyone here had any experiences with Aliexpress? I found a switch that is not available anywhere but on Aliexpress from one seller. It's a switch for a Enco lathe made in China, Enco merged with MSC, and they no longer support the model of lathe I have. I've done my research on this and only one place sells a compatable switch.

How do you pay when buying from Ali? How do you keep from using your credit card so it won't get hacked or identity theft happening?

2. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
    All I can say is that I have ordered a couple of times from Aliexpress and had no problems.
    I paid with Visa debit but if you are concerned you could set up a QIWI Wallet as a buffer between your bank account and the seller.

shortbus likes this.
  3. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I do...Always.
    I use Visa debit.
    Never had an issue with the refunds either

by the way..my rank is A4

shortbus likes this.
  4. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    Hit or miss. Some things are as stated and some aren't. It seems that most Sellers just sell things and know little about what they're selling. The dispute process seems to favor Sellers. I am 1 for 3 for disputes.
    I used a credit card. Having information stolen is a sad fact of life. I've been affected by data breaches at Target, Home Depot, Bank of America, and Yahoo. Reputable companies will offer free identity theft monitoring for thefts involving financial information (Target and Home Depot); and some don't. Bank of America won't even tell you what was compromised or when; they just say your data was compromised and issue a new card...

shortbus likes this.
  5. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    When my Bank of America debit card was compromised (for exactly one dollar but somewhere a ocean away from me) I had to insist on being issued a new card.

Neither the phone contact nor the in persons representative suggested this when I noted this charge, even though I noticed it only because the bank alerted me to a foreign transaction.

Instead I was offered reasons like "when you purchase gas for your car it will many times first post as a one dollar transaction."

Did they honestly think I drove across the Atlantic ocean and all the way thru Europe just to buy a tank of gas?

I have recently applied for the Americal Express Serve card. Load with cash and all I can be hit for is that cash. I intend to use it as a firewall between my bank accounts and the crewl world. Being a NY resident I don't even have to pay a monthly fee.

Nice.

shortbus likes this.
  6. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    I once had a $20 prepaid bank card and I placed a $19 and change order with Jameco.com. Jameco posted a $1 charge to "verify" the card, and then informed me that the charge for my order was denied. Duh, they took $1 from the card that wouldn't be credited back for days/weeks. I explained the situation to the person and they took $1 off shipping so the charge would go through.

I don't use debit cards. My impression is that they don't offer the same protections as a credit card. With a debit card, it's your money, so the bank can't lose anything and someone can drain your account before you know it.

shortbus likes this.
  7. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    For me it was an offshore auction house. Not an online website thing an actual auction house. Why would I go somewhere and spend money at an aution with no other travel expenses on the card?

To get back on topic. I think Ali can charge your paypal account.

shortbus likes this.
  8. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    There is no money in my account to drain. :D
    I transfer money when I want to buy something ;)

shortbus likes this.
  9. takao21203

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 28, 2012
    actually its upto the seller to offer this, in china charge to withdraw from paypal to bank is usd 35 for some

shortbus likes this.
  10. shortbus

Sep 30, 2009
    That's what I thought too, but they don't list it on the Ali list of payments.

11. shortbus

Sep 30, 2009
    Online they say the QIWI isn't too reliable, being a Russian company. The Visa debit is the way I'm leaning in this.

12. SLK001

Nov 29, 2011
    I've purchase from Chinese vendors a couple of times when I can't find the product in the US. White LEDs for TV backlights are one such item. I have one credit card with they lowest credit limit available (it used to be $500, but now BofA's minimum is $1000). They used to keep increasing the credit limit, but I would call them and tell them to drop it back. I use a credit card because it offers more protection than a debit card (I won't even have a debit card).

All-in-all, I am more than happy with my dealings with AliExpress vendors.

shortbus likes this.
  13. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    A vendor cannot charge to your PayPal account without you authorizing the payment. Even if your Paypal account is hacked PP has a zero dollar liability if you report the transaction.

I actually had my debit card charged to fund someone's PP account. My bank was not very helpful insisting I try to resolve this before they old cancel or reverse the charge. One call the PP got the charge reversed, the suspect account locked, and a huge amount of apologies for my inconvienence.

While I trust the PP system there are times I want something ever stronger, such as when I visit Mexico in an area where 100% of every credit or debit machine is hacked and will leak your info. Here I carry nothing but cash both in USD and Mx peso, though still want a backup card I can drain totally one time without further liability.

shortbus likes this.
  14. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Probably good practice for any online purchase. Just load it with what you need then buy. But I have never done it. So darn inconvenient.

shortbus likes this.
  15. SLK001

Nov 29, 2011
    With a debit card, the vendor has access to your entire account. They can essentually take all of your money with a fraudulent transaction. You have to hope that the bank can recover the fraudulent funds.

With a credit card, the vendor can only ask the bank for the money. If you dispute the transaction, no money will leave your account until it is settled.

shortbus likes this.
  16. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

There are debit cards where you can load the card with what you want. If the item cost $100 then you load it with $100. The worst that happens is you lose $100. You then just toss the card. A lot better that trying to settle the matter with the card company of thousands of dollars. And there are cards with the same protection as a credit card. Essentially it is a pay ahead credit card.

shortbus likes this.
  17. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
  18. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    You talk about debit card account been drained.
    Will it happen if the account link to the card is empty.
    I transfer from my saving to Visa account when I buy things.

shortbus likes this.
  19. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

Then they can only take what you transfer. And a lot of cards are limited to $50 (in the US anyway). Even though you are protected by the credit card company, the good thing about using your method is that you limit what the thief can take.

20. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    It may depend on the country and bank.

From what I understand, in the US, charges that exceed your balance will be denied. It's possible to set up overdraft capability from another account by linking a savings or checking account to the debit card. In this case, the bank will transfer money from the linked account and charge you a fee to make the transfer.

When my daughter opened her first checking account, the bank gave her an ATM card that was also a debit card linked to her checking account. I didn't like that, but the bank said all of their ATM cards are now also debit cards. That means whatever is in the checking account can be drained by thieves.

My ATM card has access to my checking account and I think I set up checking overdraft protection from my savings account; it was decades ago and I don't recall. I don't like that. Maybe I'll change banks over that policy; providing other banks haven't done something similar.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    shortbus likes this.