Any US/China Tariff experts?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Is anyone versed in the current US tariffs on imports of Chinese circuit boards? I just ordered about $2800 in circuit boards and was surprised to be hit with a $750 import tariff. It was the magnitude of the tariff that surprised me. Can anyone explain how this works? i.e. does this amount sound correct, and are tariffs different for parts such a a populated circuit board, vs. complete products such as the boxed product I'm building with these circuit boards?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have been doing my own import clearance for some years now, you just notify the shipping Co that you clear your own customs.
This was for Canada, but I am assuming it is similar for the US, as I believe they use the same commodity No.s.
Also I believe US has the online customs site with the B1 forms etc and commodity codes like the CRA in Canada.
This is where it can get messy when you let the transport company handle the import, which most do, and they will charge a brokerage fee for doing it.
One of their staff looks at the description and if no Comm. code is entered on the invoice, you have someone that may not be familiar with the product making a guess at the code, which could be much higher % than it should be.
Trust me, I have dealt with both transport and the customs and eventually had a real feel as to what went on.
But in light of today's political scene in the US, it could have made a difference to recent US imports.
Max.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Tariffs were designed to protect industries, tariffs placed after the industries are already lost do nothing but raise prices, with no benefit.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Tariff commodity codes are available at any customs office and on line.
They vary greatly with product and country of origin.
It pays to look them up.
For example, I imported a CNC lathe and it made a large difference in tariff as to whether it was a normal lathe or one for re-maching wheel drum rotors for some odd reason??
Some are tariff free!
Max.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Can anyone explain how this works?
I'm no expert, but there are several ways companies importing goods into the US can deal with tariffs: they can pass them on transparently by increasing prices, they can pass them on as an explicit mark up, or they can absorb them and take a hit on profits.

Jameco.com was charging an explicit tariff last year. This year they announced that there would be no tariffs. They probably increased their prices to reflect the tariff.

EDIT: Added link to news of Jameco dropping tariffs.

Someone in the news, can't recall who he was, was saying that tariffs wouldn't hurt US consumers (false) and that tariffs would go into Federal coffers (true). Was that a lie??? (A rhetorical question, no response desired.)

EDIT: Clarify points above, add Reuters article explaining tariffs.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Look up HTS (Harmonized Tariff Schedule) codes are product classification codes between 8-10 digits. The first six digits are an HS code, and the countries of import assign the subsequent digits to provide additional classification. U.S. HTS codes are 10 digits and are administered by the U.S. International Trade Commission.
AFAIK These codes are identical for Canada as far as product description goes.
Max.

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
We just attempted to order more circuit boards from China and were told the company is still in shutdown because of coronavirus. Also attempted to order LED's and never received a response from the company.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Thanks guys, sounds like i at least need to look up and verify the codes used. I asked the manufacturer for the customs paperwork and it was all in Chinese! Lol.. so i guess i need to spend some time on the phone with DHL double checking everything. I don't mind paying a few bucks for them to handle it all, as long as it's done right.

These boards are about 6 weeks late, double whammy between the CNY and Corona virus issues. What a mess, this has got to put a ding in their GDP, and ours as well.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Normally the shipper/invoicer does not know or apply the commodity code, usually leaves it up to whoever processes the customs entry form. :(
Max.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013