Any thought's on learning Russian lanuage ?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Living in Canada, I know English and some French, I'm almost thinking I'd like to learn Russian, anyone here have an opinion or advice on learning that ? Sometimes I can sort of read some other Latin based lang's like Italian/Spanish, and then there's all the overlap words from all over Europe. So I'm not terrible at language. But IDK, Russian is in enough movies and documentaries, that it sounds learnable. German sounds to 'yucky' sometimes (yucky means gross, for those that might not be from around here). Chinese/Mand/Jap looks too complicated.

IDK, I'm getting old, so I want to think big.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Piece of cake -- only 33 letters in the Cyrilic Alphabet plus two pronunciation symbols. Spoken and written words are entirely phonetic.

Выучить русский язык быстро ты сможешь

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Piece of cake -- only 33 letters in the Cyrilic Alphabet plus two pronunciation symbols. Spoken and written words are entirely phonetic.

Выучить русский язык быстро ты сможешь
Kilingon, I forgot that, but not nearly practical enough.

Papabravo I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. In the past I have feared Cyrillic, that's 1 big negative for Russian.

Arabic seems similar to French in enough ways, but IDK. Some other African lang's are ok sounding too, but not useful enough for me either.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I don't want to curse people, that's my sense of humor. I don't know or remember French curse words.

But Russian sounds nice enough, IDK. Any Russian's on here ?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
My old Romanian friend is very suspicious and paranoid so I asked him about it one day. His answer was basically: "If you had grown up being spied on, listened in on, and being told on your entire life you would be too". He hated Russia and the USSR for what they had done to Romania.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I took Latin back when it was used …… Ok I am not that old.
Asinus Asinum Fricat the jackass rubs the jackass Which is to say some one sucks up to another person. (student & professor)
While I do not remember much Latin, I do remember some great insults.
In some languages you modify words with prefixes and suffixes. By making a slight change to the last 2/3 letters in a word you can insult. Taking the "Jackass" comment and changing it to DarthVolta Jackass Verb we can have some fun. By changing just two letters in Latin we can have the Jackass Verbing DarthVolta or the other way around. We can make the Ass dominant and the person lesser. In Latin it is a insult to get female/male wrong. Now that I think about it we could have the Jackass acting like a DarthVolts or the reverse and only use two words.

OK I can't remember enough so "stultus est sicut stultus facit" from Forrest Gump.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Maybe i should finish french 1st, that would be easy now, back in school, I didn't appreciate the chance
The French are wishy-washy personal experience if you don't speak it don't try it they will nail you into the ground for trying to speak French. Don't get me started started on Cyrillic. The most magnificent language but if you're not born in the motherland then screw you. Intellectually they believe we look down upon them which is obviously not the case. If you are from the US. I have lost accounts in the USSR when it was USSR along with the French only because I had bravado. Bravado meaning oh you're from the US and I say no I'm from Texas. Do not tread on me you S-O-B-eys. And even if you do tread on me the US will be there to get you out of your Quagmire. Hoorah! With that said I've never been in the military I'm a capitalist.

Last edited:

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Yeah I don't care about sounding right in French (I'll try) , I just want to read it or speak some.

Around here, Russian is useless tho too, IDK any "Russian's", but I know folk's from Africa, and Asia (not Russkie's tho)

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Intellectually they believe we look down upon them which is obviously not the case. If you are from the US.
Many years ago, my dad did an engineering study for them. They were having a problem building "trucks". During assembly, the bolts from another factory were not fitting the nuts made in yet another factory. Complete and utter lack of standardization or quality control. I have seen materials shipped in from Russia that would amaze you at how crudely built they were. Amazing they ever made it into orbit but then Chernobyl and several lesser events do give one pause as to where they are overall on the smarts index.

Last edited:

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Many years ago, my dad did an engineering study for them. They were having a problem building "trucks". During assembly, the bolts from another factory were not fitting the nuts made in yet another factory. Complete and utter lack of standardization or quality control. I have seen materials shipped in from Russia that would amaze you at how crudely built they were. Amazing they ever made it into orbit but then Chernobyl and several lesser events do give one pause as to where they are overall on the smarts index.
I don't care about that stuff personally, my main personal Russian experience was watching the Chelyabinsk meteor shower videos. That's the most Russian I ever heard.

Now that was a great free show