Any suggestions on microcontroller to be used

udaymach

Joined Jul 5, 2010
Need to design a system that can detect the weight, before the goods are to be loaded to the trucks.

Generally, goods are placed in cages. A lift is fitted with 90 sensors connected to 12 Multiplexers, that is 8 sensors per multiplexer. The multiplexers communicate with each other and with the PC via RS 485. The PC is able to interrogate the multiplexers and determine how many are there and which is which. The block of cages is then loaded into either the upstairs or downstairs of the trailer. The PC calculates the weight distribution on the lift. It tells the operator where the block should be loaded in the trailer.

It calculates the weight distribution and displays:
1.Whether the whole trailer is overloaded.
2.The weight distribution of the trailer.
3.It calculates whether that weight is statically unsafe
4.Whether the weight is predominantly on the top or bottom, left/right or at the front/back
5.It also calculates the moment of inertia about the horizontal and vertical axis. And so displays whether the distribution is dynamically unsafe.

An operator determines what constitutes a safe load. The warehouseman only sees safe or unsafe messages. The numeric values for each trailer are stored in a file on disc.

Last edited:

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
What is the question exactly?

Are you attempting to replace the PC entirely with a microcontroller?

Or are you just using the microcontroller to record weight and need to tap into the existing system without affecting its operation?

What is your experience with microcontrollers? Which have you used, which might you prefer or lean to, and which language(s) are you familiar with?

udaymach

Joined Jul 5, 2010
I just want to use the interface box (Micro controller) to record the weight reading from all the multiplexers placed under the lift (i.e. The lift is fitted with 92 sensors connected to 12 Multiplexers; that’s 8 sensors per multiplexer).

The block of cages (weights) will be loaded into either the upstairs or downstairs of the trailer.
The PC is able to interrogate with the multiplexers and calculates the weight distribution on the lift. It tells the operator where the block should be loaded in the trailer upper or lower floor.
The whole system setup is shown in fig below:

| Lift floor |___(RS232)___|interface box|____(USB i/f)_____ PC

What type of microcontroller can be used and any good way to approach this problem ?

I had worked in ARM and PIC
Languages worked: C and C++

Last edited: