Microcontroller Suggestions

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Hi All
I am looking for a physically small micro controller with 3 SPI buses, and 2 ADC inputs, does anyone have any suggestions of what I could use? I want to be able to use JTAG as well with this to debug easily, and I want it to be able to setup really easily. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Do you need SPI buses that operate in parallel? SPI can go really fast so unless you actually need parallel high speed performance, you just use 3 select lines (CS, CE, what ever) and use one SPI device serially. In which case, then just about any micro will solve your problem.

So, to help you, what are the SPI devices you are loooking to drive? Also, with the ADC, what are your resolution and speed needs? What does "physically small" mean. Do you want a chip or a board? Doing your own PCB? There are MANY degrees of freedom here.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Yeah do u actually need 3 spi busses?

With spi u can share data and clock lines. Each device needs their own select line where master selects which device on the bus it wants to talk to.

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Do you need SPI buses that operate in parallel? SPI can go really fast so unless you actually need parallel high speed performance, you just use 3 select lines (CS, CE, what ever) and use one SPI device serially. In which case, then just about any micro will solve your problem.

So, to help you, what are the SPI devices you are loooking to drive? Also, with the ADC, what are your resolution and speed needs? What does "physically small" mean. Do you want a chip or a board? Doing your own PCB? There are MANY degrees of freedom here.
ah yeah I think two SPI can be run in parallel but will need another separate one, the issue I have seen is some microcontrollers do not have multiple Slave Select pins and I have read about issues in programming when coming to this bit with regards to timing.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
ah yeah I think two SPI can be run in parallel but will need another separate one, the issue I have seen is some microcontrollers do not have multiple Slave Select pins and I have read about issues in programming when coming to this bit with regards to timing.
The thing about slave select is that u can use any digital pin.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Slave select is for the micro acting as a slave. It's unused in master mode. You want to have multiple SPI masters in your system?

I'd like to understand why you would need two SPI engines running in parallel.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Depending on the expense of hassle to repair the device I may consider a MOSFET reverse polarity protection device.

Google that term and be rewarded by examples galore!