Any one knows what reverse engineering??

Abk3696

Joined Aug 4, 2017
What do you know so far? What, specifically, do you want to reverse engineer.
Yah, i want to know the things how is it work in pcb. If any problem occurs on circuit ,i want to solve the problem using reverse engineering process.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Yah, i want to know the things how is it work in pcb. If any problem occurs on circuit ,i want to solve the problem using reverse engineering process.
Reverse engineering involves having the knowledge to start with and understanding how circuits work,. This involves usually re-tracing the circuit diagram out which is a long process for multi-layer pcbs.

An experienced repair engineer would be able to handle this, not a novice.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Oh,okay but i am starting with single layer small circuits. So i need some details about it.
- You look at all the chips in the board,
- Find their data sheets to understand their function
- carefully trace all the connections on the PCB and convert it into a schematic
- figure out what each component does
- calculate the expected voltages or state of each output for various inputs (or environments if there are sensors on the device)
- test the device to make sure it has the responses you calculated

There are some PCB layout programs that offer reverse engineering tools. Lets call "reverse engineering" at this point to mean generate a schematic from a PCB. Take a look at Target 3001. e.g. https://server.ibfriedrich.com/wiki/ibfwikien/index.php?title=Reverse_Engineering

You start backwards (one sided). One of your layers is a photo of board to scale and another layer is the foil side mirrored and to scale.

There re automated tools that can help reverse engineer. It basically involves probing and creating a net list.

X-rays can help too.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Any reverse engineering study materials available?? To be a reverse engineer.
One first learns the science and technology (tools) of a particular engineering discipline, then by using these tools for some time, one becomes an "engineer" - that is, a problem solver.

Reverse engineering something is, essentially, figuring out how someone else solved a problem (by understanding the device under examination). so, my answer is, learn to engineer and solve problems before you can reverse engineer (figure out how someone else solved a problem).

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Not joking: 1rst of all learnt what switches that circuit on and off. You MUST know that upfront. Not necessarily a switch in the front panel.

2nd: identify the ground or better, the common. Then look for who supplies the voltage/s. One or more PSUs?

If you know in advance if your board is out of order or not, much better. Otherwise you could be chasing ghosts or making wrong conclusions.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Is kids "playing doctor" a good example of intuitive reverse engineering?

Myself, not even the switch, in the few sessions I was allowed to. :(:):p:D

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Reverse engineering it is what we did while russian communists was occupied my land, put millions of my folks to Siberia to die, but those who survived was working here in certain scientific (paramilitary) institute with American IC~s with the equipment shown below:
The ultraprecision grinding machine in controlled temperature no-dust room obstacles was taking off the crystal piece, say 0.5 micron layer and everything was photographed, then take off another 0.5 micron and make a picture again, and so on and so on until all crystal gone wear off. Then those hundreds of thousands of pictures are mounted together to understands HOW those damn `capitalists` was making such wonder-work. And corresponding technology for that IC is voila at hands. To remain polit-correct, that institute work was labelled as - we are `ADAPTING` the integral circuit for mass production.
They (russians) stole off me the 40 best years of life, but now we are free already 28 years as European Union full rights State and no more `adapting` anything. That`s a deal for China now, likely.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Oh ya, I forgot to add how it was ending. Americans was invented that crystall is full of plenty unneded pn points, but those unneded are going to be burned by small current high voltage pulses in the process of laid-out the factory. And now the main engineer of `adaptation` institute was grieving - nothing can understand, such structure just CANNOT work. Hik! Because burned points of good points there was no-way how to distinguish in photography.