Antenna Radiation Patterns Explained

alexx_88

Joined May 24, 2010
Hi,

Been struggling to find information that I find to be obviously missing on how to interpret antenna radiation patterns. For example have a look in the datasheet for my chip antenna. I can understand the three 2D radiation pattern graphs, one for each plane, what I don't understand is what the Horizontal and Vertical plots mean in the context of an antenna. I know it refers to the polarization of the RF waves transmitted/received, but couldn't find a decent source explaining exactly how this information can be used correctly.

Thanks!

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
With a dipole antenna mounted vertically (or horizontally) will pick up the signal differently.
1609421823207.png
I worked FM radio for a while. This type of antenna works well with car antennas well but house radios not well. (see above)

This type of antenna (below) sends half of the power vertically and half horizontally so the receiving antenna can be pointing in any directions.
1609422137930.png
The pattern V and H are slightly different.

alexx_88

Joined May 24, 2010
Ok, so what you're saying is that how the antenna (the chip antenna in my case) is positioned in relationship to the earth will make a difference even though it's the same plane in relationship to the antenna?

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Not related to earth, related to transmitting antenna to receiving antenna.

Everything is relative. I think it is 9:09am on Dec 31 but you probably are in a different time zone and maybe in a different day/year. I think up is this way and you think that way. We need to agree on what X,Y & Z are. In the space station X,Y & Z are relative to? (something) Normally we say ground is "0" and down is toward the ground but if you turned both antennas upside down you will get the same numbers. Z=-Z