Antenna Impedance Matching

Poppywhale

Joined Feb 28, 2019
Hi there. First time using this forum. I was working on a project that requires impedance matching and I'm going to match a 50ohm antenna to a RF amplifier. However, I'm not sure how can I get the impedance of the amplifier from the datasheet in order for me to design the matching circuit. Or I will need to measure it? It might be a stupid question but I'm not familiar with these so I'm here to learn. Thanks!

So sorry it should be
SST12LP22 amplifier

Last edited by a moderator:

cariban

Joined Aug 14, 2018
Hi there. First time using this forum. I was working on a project that requires impedance matching and I'm going to match a 50ohm antenna to a RF amplifier. However, I'm not sure how can I get the impedance of the amplifier from the datasheet in order for me to design the matching circuit. Or I will need to measure it? It might be a stupid question but I'm not familiar with these so I'm here to learn. Thanks!

So sorry it should be
SST12LP22 amplifier
Sometimes the manufacturer will provide the output impedance or spice model of their RF port. You may use those data to design the impedance matching network. For narrow band signal, two components are sufficient while more components may increase the matching bandwidth.

If the operating frequency is rather high, parasitic effects may have significant impact on the overall impedance. At this scenario, you may have to measure the impedance directly. Refer to the attached picture. I have made a free software called IMNLab just to solve this kind of problem.
You collect the "OPEN", "SHORT", "MATCH" and "LOAD" information at the measurement point, then import the files to IMNLab. The software will calculate the impedance at the measurement point. Also the software will help you to search for optimal impedance matching network inside the interested frequency band.
impedance_measurement.PNG