Another Microwave question

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
When I said new, I meant to say unused. I think it was actually manufactured a few years ago, and when it failed, someone put it in storage, and then my friend bought the storage locker at auction, and that's how I got it.

Ian,
Thanks for the explaination, though it's somewhat over my head right now, I will study it.
I am seeing a burnt spot ( a black blister) where one of the HV leads connects to the magnatron.
It looks like it shorted inside the epoxy, or whatever that material is that seals the plug where the two HV wires attach.
When I checked it with my meter, everything I checked was going to ground.

I appreciate the feedback.
Can you explain the bit about a car battery in greater detail?
Or tell me where I can read something about that?
The battery trick is just short the 2 heater leads together and just stomp anode/heater across a car battery - if you're lucky its only a loose flake of cathode coating and it'll just be blown away without damaging the heater. If you're not lucky, the magnetron will just be slightly more dead than you started off with.

The epoxy around the heater lugs sometimes has voids in it, it doesn't necessarily mean a fault. If the epoxy is cracked or scorched, the feed through capacitors may have broken down, The metal box on the side contains a pair of thick wire chokes in series with the heater tails, those with the potted feed through capacitors form a LPF that stops the RF escaping via the heater circuit.