And now for something weird...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.wlbt.com//app/2021/09/20/men-take-vehicle-with-free-car-sign-later-find-body-trunk/
1632165140552.png

COPIAH CO., Miss. (WLBT) - According to Copiah County Sheriff Byron Swilley, a body was found inside of a vehicle in Copiah County.

Sheriff Swilley says a man drove the vehicle from Byram to Copiah County but realized that there was a body inside the vehicle’s trunk.

Coroner Ellis Stuart says two men found the car in Byram with a “free car” sign on it, with the key inside. They drove the car to Copiah County and looked inside after arriving at a family member’s home.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.oklahoman.com/story/new...ration-surgery-cannibalism-claims/8410852002/
POTEAU — A castrator has been sentenced for performing the illegal surgery on a volunteer at a cabin in the woods last October and then keeping the removed body parts in a freezer.

A jury trial for Bob Lee Allen, 54, had been set to begin Monday.

Instead he pleaded no contest Aug. 31 to five counts and was sentenced to more than a dozen years behind bars.

The criminal case became a national sensation last year because the victim reported Allen claimed to be a cannibal.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I drink a lot of chinese tea and am always somewhat amused by some of their fantastical claims as to its benefits. Here is one I've never seen before that is quite interesting.
1632439411049.png
Now just what the hell does Cobalt 60 have to do with "Computer Radiation"? And what about us guys, does it work on us too or do we fall under the "store owners" umbrella? I can't help but wonder just how many ladies and store owners had to die from this radiation before they started drinking this particular tea to prevent it?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I drink a lot of chinese tea and am always somewhat amused by some of their fantastical claims as to its benefits. Here is one I've never seen before that is quite interesting.
View attachment 248733
Now just what the hell does Cobalt 60 have to do with "Computer Radiation"? And what about us guys, does it work on us too or do we fall under the "store owners" umbrella? I can't help but wonder just how many ladies and store owners had to die from this radiation before they started drinking this particular tea to prevent it?
I remember this weird story about Cobalt-60.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477708/
Effects of Cobalt-60 Exposure on Health
An extraordinary incident occurred 22 years ago in Taiwan. Recycled steel, accidentally contaminated with discarded cobalt-60 sources (T1/2 = 5.3 y), was formed into construction steel for more than 180 buildings containing about 1700 apartments, and also public and private schools and small businesses, in Taipei City and nearby counties. About ten thousand people occupied these buildings for 9 to 22 years.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I remember this weird story about Cobalt-60.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477708/
Effects of Cobalt-60 Exposure on Health
Well that is interesting ... stunning, as a matter of fact:

They did not suffer a higher incidence of cancer mortality, as the LNT theory would predict. On the contrary, the incidence of cancer deaths in this population was greatly reduced—to about 3 per cent of the incidence of spontaneous cancer death in the general Taiwan public. In addition, the incidence of congenital malformations was also reduced—to about 7 per cent of the incidence in the general public.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Bizarre...

"The observation that the cancer mortality rate of the exposed population is only about 3 percent of the cancer mortality rate of the general public (2.7 percent if the student are excluded) is particularly striking and is consistent with the radiation hormesis model. This assessment suggests that chronic radiation may be a very effective prophylaxis against cancer."

So, they were getting cancer gamma radiation treatment for years is why their cancer rate was so low! Jeeze what convoluted thinking! Methinks something smells a bit off here.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Well that is interesting ... stunning, as a matter of fact:
It would be logical that our bodies, as the result of millions of years of evolution, have countermeasures for small levels of radiation.

https://tech.snmjournals.org/content/43/4/242
Radiation Hormesis: Historical and Current Perspectives
Hormesis is the concept that biologic systems can respond in a positive way, or be stimulated by, physical or biologic exposure to low doses of an agent that is toxic at higher doses (1). Additionally, hormesis is defined as “any physiological effect that occurs at low doses which cannot be anticipated by extrapolating from toxic effects noted at high doses” (2). Therefore, radiation hormesis is the theory that biologic systems can respond positively to exposure to low doses of ionizing radiation.

In contrast to the hormesis theory, much of the radiation safety that we, as nuclear medicine technologists, practice follows a different model. A brief discussion of dose–response models is required to help the reader understand the differences between the linear no-threshold, threshold, and hormetic models that will be discussed in this article. The linear no-threshold model states that biologic effects increase as exposure to the physical or biologic agent increases (Fig. 1A). The threshold models states that no significant biologic response is observed until exposure to the physical or biologic agent reaches a threshold dose (Fig. 1B). The hormetic model states that low-dose exposure to a physical or biologic agent helps the body and that as the dose increases the benevolent effects decrease. The hormetic model takes on a linear appearance at higher doses, and biologic damage is determined by increasing dose (Fig. 1C).

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/otters-attacking-people-dogs-anchorage-alaska/
1632848021953.png
Residents of Alaska's largest city often contend with bears and moose, but state officials are warning of another wild animal that has been causing problems: river otters. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game says river otters have attacked people and pets in some of the city's most popular outdoor areas.

Officials are asking people to be extra careful when they are around rivers, creeks and lakes along the city's greenbelt.
1632848129584.png

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
In limited experience with otters, they are the most gentle (except when it comes to eating fish) and friendly mammals I have ever come across. It must have been rabies.