And now for something weird...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
First world problems. People are struggling just to survive right now and these Bozos are rioting over sauce.
“One couple drove 4-hours...”.
Let’s see, four hours at 60mph is 240 miles. At 25 mpg... round trip
Oh, my, McDonalds caused them to convert 20 gallons of gasoline into CO2, warm the planet and flood some pacific islands. McDonalds is bad!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

Thing has a steerable back end. Makes the job a lot easier.

I saw a driver make a turn towing an I beam that must have been at least 30 meters or more. He was on 9th street in Pittsburgh and made a left onto Liberty Ave. He had to backup just once for just a short bit to complete the turn. No steerable backend. Just him in the cab. Take a look on Google Earth to apprecaite how narrow the streets are in the city. It was one of the most amazing demonstration of driving skill I have ever seen.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
And I'm willing to bet they're powered too. Not precisely by an engine, but at least some form of hydraulic auxiliary motor. A bend that sharp requires that the back end is at least pushed a little.
You can hear the motors for the rear trailer wheels as it passes close o he camera at about 30 seconds into the video (and in the first few seconds).

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So, very few projects made here are hacks, by that definition. Buying eggs or a tray of chicken breasts from Walmart is easier than building an automatic chicken coop door opener.
That's true. But in here we do things for fun, mainly.... where's the fun in making a Pb&J? It's not like you're gonna grill or bake the thing!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
That's true. But in here we do things for fun, mainly.... where's the fun in making a Pb&J? It's not like you're gonna grill or bake the thing!
Cutting frozen peanut butter might be fun to some people. Probably the same people who would say, “ where is the fun in soldering doo-dads to a PCB.”

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...er-punishment-loomed-over-a-demoralized-crew/
Sailors aboard the cruiser Shiloh during the 26-month command of Capt. Adam M. Aycock often worried about the CO’s use of one of the Navy’s most arcane punishments: confinement for three days in the brig while being fed only bread and water.
That first sailor had been late for curfew and absent without leave, according to records obtained by the Navy Times via a Freedom of Information request.

At least six other Shiloh sailors would receive bread and water under Aycock, for offenses that included curfew violations and underage drinking, the records show.

One sailor got bread and water in part for lying about his mother living “in a dangerous area,” according to records.
Wow, I'm surprised that this is a legal punishment for such common offenses. We had one guy do bread and water brig time but it was disobeying a direct order from the XO about his conduct to a fellow sailor. His crew should be glad that 'walking the plank' is not longer on the books.

https://exit142a.wordpress.com/2016/09/23/september-23-2016-the-u-s-navy-brig-bread-and-water-diet/