And now for something weird...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

I had no idea that in-between it won’t spin either way but goes straight down.

kv
Hoax!

It's a pure setup.

It's trivially easy to get the water to spin either way as it drains and there isn't any significant tendency one way or the other or even to not spin.

He is controlling the direction of spin by using a different pan. The painted stripes on the bottom of the pan impart the desired spin, or lack thereof. If this were truly an attempt to perform an experiment, he would have used the same pan each time to eliminate that variable and the pan would have been carefully selected so as to have no detectable imperfections.

On top of that, if this were true, then the motion would be in the opposite direction of what he claims. Coriolis effects cause low pressure systems to rotate counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere (just look at the weather maps) in order to preserve angular momentum over the large scale distances involved in weather systems. A draining bowl is a low pressure system.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Get back to dugarees and boonies, Camos look stupid on Navy ships.
Back In MY day!!

"Class II ratings wore square rig consisting of Bell Bottomed Trousers (with five or seven horizontal creases, and verticle creases at the sides of the trousers, pressed inside out so creases point inwards), a jumper with either gold or rank & trade insignia depending on order of dress (supposedly, gold insignia was stopped at the beginning of the war. In practice they pretty much all got hold of them), again pressed inside out, collar which was tied around the waist under the jumper with three creases forming a W on the back (although many found it didn't blow up as much if pressed into a M), a blue top or white top peakless cap with HMS tally tied around it with a bow above the right eye (not regulation, but everyone did it), a blue jersey or white T-shirt like "flannel" or "white front" was worn under the jumper. Around the neck, over the jumper but under it's neck flap was a black silk - a square of material folded seven times and sewn at one end to form a loop of material. This was tied at the front in a bow by a cotton tape. A white lanyard was underneath the neck flap of the Jumper, looped around the silk, and then inside the jumper. Black, toecapless and unhobnailed boots were worn. In the UK blue topped caps all year round, with a white front worn in summer, a blue jersey in Winter. Square rig was also worn with a white top cap and a white front in Winter in the Mediterranean".

I still favour the White Front shirt and wear one when I can!
Max.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Back In MY day!!

"Class II ratings wore square rig consisting of Bell Bottomed Trousers (with five or seven horizontal creases, and verticle creases at the sides of the trousers, pressed inside out so creases point inwards), a jumper with either gold or rank & trade insignia depending on order of dress (supposedly, gold insignia was stopped at the beginning of the war. In practice they pretty much all got hold of them), again pressed inside out, collar which was tied around the waist under the jumper with three creases forming a W on the back (although many found it didn't blow up as much if pressed into a M), a blue top or white top peakless cap with HMS tally tied around it with a bow above the right eye (not regulation, but everyone did it), a blue jersey or white T-shirt like "flannel" or "white front" was worn under the jumper. Around the neck, over the jumper but under it's neck flap was a black silk - a square of material folded seven times and sewn at one end to form a loop of material. This was tied at the front in a bow by a cotton tape. A white lanyard was underneath the neck flap of the Jumper, looped around the silk, and then inside the jumper. Black, toecapless and unhobnailed boots were worn. In the UK blue topped caps all year round, with a white front worn in summer, a blue jersey in Winter. Square rig was also worn with a white top cap and a white front in Winter in the Mediterranean".

I still favour the White Front shirt and wear one when I can!
Max.
Very fancy.

This was our work uniform on ship and overseas. If we needed someone to pull a trigger there were people in camos with us to get the job done.

Now, there were special work uniforms for some that were really 'Hot' sailors.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This was our work uniform on ship and overseas. If we needed someone to pull a trigger there were people in camos with us to get the job done.
Now, there were special work uniforms for some that were really 'Hot' sailors.
Back when I served in Libya we had contact with the US forces at Wheelus A.F.B. and some radio stations along the coast.
I couldn't help comparing the laid back attitude between other ranks and officers, compared to the very regimented relationship for us in the British forces, we stopped at a remote U.S. radio relay station and we were welcomed by a guy in a plaid shirt and jeans, and he showed us some hospitality while there.
I spoke with one of the other ranks afterwards and he said that was the CO!!.:D
Shades of Mash!
I should post a photo of us shooting pool in the middle of the Libyan desert.!
Max.

Last edited: