And now for something weird...

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fata_Morgana_(mirage)

There are many types of optical illusions that could explain the lights.

At sea, I had the chance to see several variations of the above. The most amazing is the image of a vessel upside down connected with its straight image below. Seen that in a warm summer near the the mouth of the Río de la Plata (River Plate). Clear weather and calm wind.

In the vicinity of Scilly Islands (UK), in night time, the image of a vessel upside down somewhat above the horizon. Disturbing to say the least.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
This is absolutely astonishing... I'm flabbergasted!

Unless technology has changed since I used to dive, entering a cave without a tether to the outside is pretty damn stupid. The rules always were if you were not cave certified, you don't venture beyond where you can see the exit. And you never venture beyond where you can see the exit unless you are tethered .

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
This is absolutely astonishing... I'm flabbergasted!

There is a big cave at Cozumel too down at Chankanub Lagoon. From what I understand it connects the sea to the brackish water in the lagoon. I entered the cave. Because I was not certified cave diver, I had to keep an eye on the entrance. Pretty easy to do since the entrance is enormous. As I approached the shore, my vision suddenly went fuzzy. At first I thought I somehow lost both contacts.

My vision is so poor that I knew all I had to do was look at the sides of my mask to verify the contacts were in place. Nope not that. I realized it was significantly colder inside the cave. I figured that the fuzziness I was seeing was due to the density of water between the warm ocean water and the cool water inside the ave. Some of it possibly the brackish water from the lagoon.

There were some huge tarpon in there and a number of large barracuda.

Once while I was in Cozumel they found an animal in the cave that was previously unknown. I think it was some kind of crustacean if I remember correctly.